25hp tohatsu

boarhawg

Cadet
i have a 2001 25hp 2stroke tohatsu this weekend i ran it then all the sudden it died i have cleaned the carb. and changed gas and gas tanks with no better results it will run at about half throttle on ears but nothing with a load but i was putting the cap back on with it running on the ears and it shocked the crap out of me when i touched one of the plug wires could this be my problem thanks

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral
Re: 25hp tohatsu

It sounds like the rear motor latch may be grounding against a spark plug wire.

boarhawg

Cadet

it runs rough with or without the hood on would this still be my problem

pvanv

Admiral

A sudden stop without any warning at all is likely ignition-related. The shock was also ignition-related. I would verify ignition items.

General poor running (not a regular, single-cylinder miss) is often fuel-related. That includes the internal fuel filter (not a bad thing to change it), fuel pump and lines, external water-separating filter (if so equipped) as well as crud in the carb. For a thorough carb cleaning, you must fully disassemble the carb and soak it in carb cleaner, and then blow it spotlessly clean -- not just squirt it with a spray. So you may want to revisit the fuel system as well.

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral

Being shocked by putting the engine cover on is an indication that you have a problem with the insulation on the sparkplug wiring. Whether or not that is causing your engine to run rough can only be determined by fixing the insulation and then seeing if it still has the rough condition.

boarhawg

Cadet

update my motor had a broke reed valve got it fixed runs like new also put new wire on