Should I get a motor support for towing?

thepotroast

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I am picking up my new (used) boat this coming weekend, a 17' Renken open bow with a Merc 3.0 I/O with the Alpha 1. In my past experiences of being around boats and family members towing them, they all had used the motor supports that help ease the stress off the tilt components. Those were all with outboards though. I am towing this boat home, about 60 miles from the guy's house. Is there a special support bar for I/O's, or should I not even worry about it?

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Should I get a motor support for towing?

Ayuh,... I wouldn't Worry about it,....

But,.. If you Do,... There are plastic Clips that can be put on the hyd. rams to lock 'em Up...

thepotroast

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Should I get a motor support for towing?

Ayuh,... I wouldn't Worry about it,....

But,.. If you Do,... There are plastic Clips that can be put on the hyd. rams to lock 'em Up...

Guessing I can get those at boaters world? I just have this fear of trailer shock...and having a ram fail and the outdrive going BAM! I don't know, a little security would be nice. Perhaps the bar support is a little overkill since it's just the weight of an outdrive, not the entire engine...

I will be sure however to tie down the stern to the trailer using some padded straps. I've witnessed my family's own boats being shifted on the trailer, when we got home. There's a few nasty bumps on bridges around here, I don't want this small boat coming loose on the trailer :p