96, Mercury 50 no tilt assist shocks?

reelfishin

Captain
I picked up a sweet running Merc 50 today, it's a 1996 model, it runs perfect and has perfect compression, (147/145/146).
The one thing I noticed is that this has no tilt assist shocks? Its the second one of this style which has not had them. The motor is in near mint condition and has the bosses on the bracket where it could have had something but it's got none, and no marks to show where they've been removed.

Did they sell some motors without?
The guy had this on an aluminum center console. So the motor was easy to reach but it's a bit tough to tilt.

Laddies

Banned
Re: 96, Mercury 50 no tilt assist shocks?

They never did have tilt assist shocks, they have shocks that help prevent kick up from a impact on the lower unit. That engine should have a release lever to tilt it up, that goes to a manual tilt cyl. between the mounting brackets that also works as a kickup shock.

reelfishin

Captain

There's no shock in the middle, only the latch and a huge spring. If I were to unlatch the bracket while it's off the boat, it would snap open and the only way to return it is to hang the motor and use the motor's weight to put it down.
My 1983 50 hp 4 cylinder has two external shocks mounted to the outer bosses. This one has larger bosses, which are farther apart, and nothing bolted there.

See red circled areas in pic, this is an older motor but it looks the same as mine. Maybe this was where they would mount power tilt/trim cylinders?

The spring isn't just a single coil spring, it's a compound type spring with two arms and an inner rod. It sort of resembles a screen door stop chain spring or the springs on old cable steering.

I was just curious if something was missing, if these didn't have anything attached to these bosses, then fine, I'll run it the way it is.

Attachments

• k9baa.jpg
    k9baa.jpg
    15.5 KB · Views: 1

mthieme

Captain

Yup, I've got an '87 50 - manual tilt all the way. I also have a 402, 35 and 25 all manual tilt. My best friend has a 140 tower - manual tilt.
Odd thing is, BIL gave me a single cylinder hydraulic tilt setup, but the tip of the drive shaft is sheared off.

reelfishin

Captain

It looks to me like all I need to do is make up a pair of hydraulic rams and a pump from an old I/O and I have power tilt and trim. The bolts from the older 500 motors fit the bosses, so I may even be able to adapt an earlier tilt unit.
That is if I decide I want to add the weight. As it is, I can still hang it on a light aluminum boat.

Laddies

Banned

reelfishin, the good news is any type I power trim for outboards will work. The bad news is your engine could not be a 96 engine as the last engine that used that clamp bracket was serial OC169635 and was built in mid 1990 after that they went to the single cyl. between the clamp brackets. Sorry for the wrong answer on my first post.

reelfishin

Captain

The only info I have on the year is what I was told, the tag is worn off the transom bracket, it's nearly cut through from where the guy had a safety chain on it. Either way, the year don't much matter to me, it runs great and that's really all that matters. I have a power tilt unit from an older Merc 650, maybe that would fit?

Laddies

Banned

If it's from a 3 cyl 650 it should bolt right up I think thhat some of the bolts and fasteners were dillerent on the 4 cyl but nothing a hardware won't haave

reelfishin

Captain

The 650 is a 4 cylinder, on those motors the tilt rams bolt in place of the lift shocks. I have a pump, rams and all but on line.
The 3 cylinder looks like it the bosses maybe farther apart though?