E85 ethanol for cleaning an old gas tank

ksubigbuck

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hi guys. I have three old metal tanks (5 or 6 gal). One is empty and is not too dirty, another had a gallon or two in it and is a little dirtier, and the third was full and is very dirty. It has a layer of black crud on the bottom and sides. I plan on putting some nuts and bolts in the tank with some sort of solvent and shaking to get the crud out. I have heard of people using E85 ethanol for doing this. Does anybody have any first hand experience with this? Did it work or not?

Thanks for the help,
Hunter

Rick.

Captain
Re: E85 ethanol for cleaning an old gas tank

No I've never tried it but you have a pretty explosive mix there and I would not suggest it as a solution. Try a gallon of paint thinner or varsol. I'm sure it would work just as well if not better and a whole lot safer. Once your done you can pour it back in the jug and use it again once it settles. Make sure you remove the suction line and filter before you start and the hole can be lugged with a 1/8 inch pipe plug. Good luck, let us know how it goes. Rick.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

the ethanol would have to set for a long time. i agree use something else. carb clean comes to mind. it dissolves varnish in the carbs. and some marbles to agitate it.

ksubigbuck

Petty Officer 2nd Class

ohhh, good point about it being explosive. Glad I didn't try that one. I do have a half gallon of carb cleaner downstairs. I'll try that in the really dirty one, and paint thinner in the sorta dirty one.

Thanks,
Hunter

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

remember they are explosive also. don't use a match to see if they are clean.

Rick.

Captain

Sorry, I saw the other post re: cleaning tanks and responded there. Rick.