What could go wrong?

chmartin1

Recruit
I am a new boat owner with a very limited undertsanding of outboards - VERY limited... I now have a 2002 and 2004 Yamaha 200 HP HPDI on this boat I bought. I want to learn about these engines so am going to order their repair manuals. My question is this - The boat is a 29' Mako with these twin HPDI's and I would like to know what common possible problems might occur that could be fixable out on the water? What backup parts should I have on board?

At first I thought if I ran into a problem I would just find someone and hire him to fix it but I realize that wont help me if I'm out on the water, plus the boat is difficult to move around and located in a fairly remote area. I just want to learn and am starting with pretty much zero knowledge on these engines. So, what are some parts and procedures I should learn for do it yourself repairs?

Thanks!

Chris

Mas

Lieutenant Commander
Re: What could go wrong?

Buy the Yamaha factory manuals and read and reread them cover to cover!

If you have twins, it's unlikely that both will be down for the count out on the water. Repairs on the water are often difficult at best.

If you're really interested in learning, buy a junker and tear it apart as you read the OEM manual.

MAS

blackbox

Seaman

the 2.6 liter h.p.d.i motors have a great track record. they are fuel efficent and preform well. the #1 problem i see with them is "fuel related". the boat should have a 10 micron pre-filters between the fuel tank and the motors. there are 3 other filters on the motor. they should all be changed yearly or at 100 hours. yamaha "ring free" and a good stabilizer should be used in the fuel tank. you will need your model and ser# to get the right parts.
h.p.d.i motors inject fuel directly in to the cylinder (similar to a diesel). yamaha uses a belt driven fuel pump(600-700psi) to feed the direct injectors.

enjoy your new boat!

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

while buying the manual is a good thing you are going to be dissapointed with what it actually tells you about the motors and you will need both the 02 and 04 manuals as the systems changed slightly for 04.
the 02 used a single injector driver some used the twin electrode EKU series plugs and others used the single electrode EK series plugs.
the ONLY way to correctly identify which to use on the early single driver motors was by looking at the ign coil primary connectors.
if they are black use the single electrode plugs if they are grey use the twin electrode.
the proper way to set the plug gap on the EKU style plugs is not in the service manual or tune up spec guide but two methods can be found in the marine tech guide for 02 and 05.
there are actually about 12 fuel filters on those engines, not all can be serviced.
if you cut one of the band clamps to remove the VST or the medium pressure inline fuel filter you MUST replace it with the same style clamp. DO NOT use automotive hose clamps.
in the marine tech guide there is a schedule for maint on the HPDI motors.
follow it paying attention to its houly OR calander.
this motor is fairly complex, we have found that excessive low speed use makes O2 sensor cleaning and TESTING mandatory about every 75 hours.
the engineers say O2 sensor feedback is not used above 1500 RPM, field experience shows that if it runs lousy due to O2 sensor feedback at low speeds it runs lousy throughout the RPM band.
while the laptop is not absolutly critical for maint it wil save quite a bit of time chasing ghosts.
a diagnostic test lamp can be used but only if a code is active.
the easiest way to service the pressure control valve is to remove the driver and ecu mounting bracket.
on the single driver engine this can be difficult and if you break off a connector lock pin the driver is almost 1400 dollars now.
so while doing your own maint is a good thing either do it all or make sure what you dont do is done by someone.
no matter how tempting it is DO NOT use any sealer,especially silly cone, on the VST gasket.
on the water most "failures" are not repairable.
however 95% of them are entirely preventable.

chmartin1

Recruit

Thanks for the replies! I'm going to go ahead and get the operators manual on both engines. Fortunately when I bought the boat it also came with a spare motor - a 2002 200 HP HPDI with a blown powerhead and no lower unit. I will try and find my way around through that engine... So I take it trolling must not be a good idea for these motors?

Mas

Lieutenant Commander

Thanks for the replies! I'm going to go ahead and get the operators manual on both engines. Fortunately when I bought the boat it also came with a spare motor - a 2002 200 HP HPDI with a blown powerhead and no lower unit. I will try and find my way around through that engine... So I take it trolling must not be a good idea for these motors?

Note: There is a big difference between an "operators manual" (owners manual) and factory repair manual.

Being that you already have a "junker" will be very educational if you tear it apart, and you'll learn heaps. But as Rodbolt pointed out, for a novice to diagnose and fix an on-the-water breakdown on a very complex motor is expecting a bit much.

Keep the motors properly maintained and rely on the other motor if one of your twins fail to get you home where the motor can be properly diagnosed without parts and tools falling in the water.

MAS

chmartin1

Recruit

Ok - I will look for the repair manual. There arent like common simple issues that you could fix on the water? like something with the spark plugs etc? The boat is a bear to get out of the water. It's like 12,000 lbs and has a tower on it. Plus the marina where it's docked does not have a lift :( So, for the most part it will be staying in the water... If something goes wrong with the engines I will have to get a triple axle trailer to pull it out and park it at the marina to do work (cant get on highway with it).

Mas

Lieutenant Commander

Ok - I will look for the repair manual. There arent like common simple issues that you could fix on the water?

Do you mean 5 miles off shore or tied up to a dock?

MAS

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

yes you can change plugs on the water, but there is a terrible amount of maint associated with those motors and it MUST be done or they pop powerheads.
the VST,fuel pumps,t-stats and pressure control valve as well as all engine filters can be done in the water.
if the water is shallow and you dont mind getting wet the water pump can be done in the water.
gearcase oils need to be checked/changed every 6 months at a minimum.
oil tanks,both engine and remote,need routine service.
if you feel the need to remove the oil strainer from the engine tank you really really should drain the tank via the water trap tube PRIOR to removing the strainer assy.
most the 2.6L HPDI motors will either require a wobble extension or a hex ended spark plug socket and a box end wrench to remove #6 plug due to cowl interference.
also be aware that if your using an ethanol blend fuel you sometimes have to leave the nylon filter cup off overnight to get it back on.
they tend to swell.
the z200 was notorious for fouling plugs and O2 sensors when operating between about 1100 to 1600 RPM for extended periods.

chmartin1

Recruit

Tied up to a dock in calm water...

So, it sounds like I need to pull it out of the water every six months or so to maintenance both engines - is that about right?

On average we go out about every other weekend and run 100 - 125 miles total on a trip.

Chris