How far does the term " you only get what you paid for" extends?

Vlad D Impeller

Commander
On the subject of Flyrods and Flyreels. I generally find the disparity in cost and performance to be a bit more than enough to express my curiousity.

What are the most common thoughts of our Flyfishing members as it pertains to the subject and your current tackle?

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: How far does the term " you only get what you paid for" extends?

Like most mechanical devices I find that tiny details that cost a lot and add little to performance elevate many reels to status symbols.

Rods, on the other hand, can be a world ahead of the pack to justify their astronomical cost.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Vlad I live 40 minutes from Orvis. One day I had the chance to play with a flyrod in their stocked pool..... I was in love!!!! It was a very short love affair until I was introduced to the price tag. I scour garage sales in this area because on the rare chance somone will part with a hand built Orvis bamboo flyrod. They have lifetime warranty and orvis will restore or replace an old one for next to nothing.

Absolutely you get what you pay for!

i386

Captain

I have an appreciation for craftsmanship. Couple that with service and parts for years to come and it's worth it to me. Now, I may not be able to afford it, but I can at least recognize the value of it.

Speaking of bamboo rods, Bob. Ever seen the video of them being made?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0QXMWcW6J0

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

I have an appreciation for craftsmanship. Couple that with service and parts for years to come and it's worth it to me. Now, I may not be able to afford it, but I can at least recognize the value of it.

Speaking of bamboo rods, Bob. Ever seen the video of them being made?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0QXMWcW6J0

Yes and I have even peeked in on the Orvis Factory too ;)

aspeck

Staff member

I have a handcrafted split bamboo rod ... it is awesome! Absolutely love it! A dear old codger hand crafted it for me. I hate to use it anymore because he has long since passed and I would hate for anything to happen to it. But yes, there is a vast difference between a hand built and balanced outfit and mass produced one. You do get what you pay for. The question what is it worth to YOU to have the extras. That is what is important.
For the amount of fly fishing and types of fly fishing I do, I could not justify the higher prices (also with my budget and the current state of the economy). But, if I was a hard core fly fisherman with an unlimited budget, I would have a room full of handcrafted rods and matching reels.

Tacklewasher

Lieutenant Commander

I have two entry level Sage rods (4 wt and 5 wt) and a TFO 8 wt.

Given the price I would go with a decent mid-level rod unless you are a real fanatic and want to buy the absolute best.

Give me $1,000 rod and I still can't cast so the $100 rod suits me just fine.

OldePharte

Chief Petty Officer

Hmmm - I found a bamboo fly rod in a house that I bought over 30 years ago. I guess I need to find that puppy and look it up. I do remember it having a cardboard tube, felt (?) wrapping and pockets for all the sections, including a second end piece. There was a hand signed tag, serial number, and some other info as well.

Since I don't fish any more, I might see to sell it to some one who would appreciate/use it.

BTW - I don't fish any more after a trip to Lake Winnebago during my teen years. If I remember correctly, they took the limit off the white bass and we, four of us, caught over a hundred. It was an awful like catching tuna. Just put anything shiney with a hook and you caught it. Many didn't even get hooked, they just hung on to the spoon. It was all fun and games until it came cleaning time. To this day, I don't really like to eat fish.

idrownworms

Petty Officer 1st Class

Custom built is the way to go. What is even better is that their custom built by me:D:D:D
That way you have total control over, down-locking or up-locking, guide type, shape of the handle, thread wrapping, I can go on. The biggest satisfaction though is catching fish on a rod you made:D
You also save money over buying store bought.
jamie

Bigprairie1

Commander

Well, I'm an average fly fisherman at best. I'm getting a little better in my technique and my success at both wet and dry fly.
Up until last summer I used an entry level 'Dragonfly' #6 and I didn't have too many complaints...not that I would know the difference.:redface:
I had, and took, and opportunity to buy a very nice used #5 Sage with some nice Sage reels. It really is a nice rod and I do notice a difference in its feel when in use.
Having bought it used I feel I got great value for the money. So yes, I got what I paid for...and then some I think.:D
That said, I don't believe in buying everything, all the time new. I know a bunch of guys who buy, by price tag only. When they are going through racks of gear or equipment they are flipping price tags and then deciding. I always get a laugh out of it. Take the price tags off and then don't seem sure what to choose.;):)
All Good
BP:cool: