Newbie boat owner - hull repair questions

stpauler

Recruit
Hi all - bought my first boat yesterday. It's a 2003 Larson 180 SEI. I suspect I should make a few repairs to the bottom of the hull before putting it in the water. I'm a DIYer, but new to the boating game. I'm wondering if you all would be able to give me any advice based upon the pictures attached. The first two represent my main concern - some decent gouges in the bottom of the hull. From what you can see from the pics, is this something I take care of myself, or would I be better off to have a pro take a look at it and recommend a course of action? Pic 3 is one of 3 or 4 similar hairline cracks in the gelcoat, all above the gunnel. Is this merely cosmetic? Lastly, pic 4 shows where the upholstery on the sundeck has come unglued or something. I'm curious as to whether anyone thinks this is worth bothering with? I'm inclined to wait to see if/until it comes apart at the seam before I think about doing anything about it.

For what it's worth, the boat will be used primarily on small freshwater lakes with sandy bottoms.

I'd appreciate any thoughts/suggestions - really looking forward to this spring.
Thanks!

-Andy

Attachments

• Boat 1.JPG
    Boat 1.JPG
    63.4 KB · Views: 0
  • Boat 2.JPG
    Boat 2.JPG
    54.1 KB · Views: 0
  • Boat 3.JPG
    Boat 3.JPG
    45.7 KB · Views: 0
  • Boat 4.JPG
    Boat 4.JPG
    95.3 KB · Views: 0

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Newbie boat owner - hull repair questions

Ayuh,... Welcome Aboard,...

Head on down to the Restoration/ Repair forum,...
All your questions have been answered,+ are there for the reading....

stpauler

Recruit

Thanks for moving me to the proper home - I wasn't sure where it made the most sense.

At any rate, can I take from your response that in your opinion this is a repair that doesn't necessarily require taking it in to the shop and spending $1000? I've looked through the forums a bit on gelcoat repair and think I have an idea on how to go about the hairline cracks topside if I choose to do so, but couldn't find anything with similar pics as my underside.

Thanks again,
Andy

leerocks

Cadet

Search gellcoat repair on youtube.

seaman campbell

Chief Petty Officer

I'm no expert but, those gouges look to be fillable. How deep are they? Do they penetrate the keel?

TC

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,... I'd probably go after the gouges on the bottom with an epoxy paste myself,....
The spider cracks on the topsides usually come right back,... Not really worth the Effort of the repair....

Most of Us here at iboats are DYI'ers,+ Don't pay somebodyelse to do stuff,...
We can walk you through it,.. 5 or 9 Different Ways,........:D