Trailer hitch bracket for outboard transport?

Zepto

Recruit
Hi -
I just bought a 25 HP 4-stroke yamaha and am thinking of ways to transport it. I've read on a couple of threads comments along the lines of "they make an outboard bracket that mounts to a trailer hitch." I was wondering if such a thing really exists and if so, who "they" is. I've been searching the forums and googling for awhile and decided to ask for advice. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

(The boat is an inflatable (no trailer or room for a trailer) so I need to be a little more creative with transport.

Thank you very, very much.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: Trailer hitch bracket for outboard transport?

Any fabrication shop in town can build one for you. Two inch square structural tube steel inserts into receiver. Weld on a vertical piece as high as you need with a cross piece at the top. Attach a 2x6 to it and mount the motor. Consider some sort of locking mechanism because if you stop anywhere, your engine would be gone in a heartbeat. Four strokes can also be transported on their side -- but only on the CORRECT side or you flood the engine with engine oil. The engine usually has pads on the side it is supposed to rest on.

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral

Sounds like a plan if you have to keep the outboard out of the tow vehicle. When I transport mine, I clamp a good-sized 2X6 or 2X8 into the transom clamp and set it in boat or back of my SUV, after draining the gas. Old cardboard boxes, collapsed flat make a good transport pad to set them on. It would take me awhile to develop any trust in a hitch bracket designed to carry my outboard...just seeing it back there in the rear-view mirror would get my goat, especially on rough roads.

coolguy147

Commander

Any fabrication shop in town can build one for you. Two inch square structural tube steel inserts into receiver. Weld on a vertical piece as high as you need with a cross piece at the top. Attach a 2x6 to it and mount the motor. Consider some sort of locking mechanism because if you stop anywhere, your engine would be gone in a heartbeat. Four strokes can also be transported on their side -- but only on the CORRECT side or you flood the engine with engine oil. The engine usually has pads on the side it is supposed to rest on.

another reason y u gotta love 2 strokes

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Consider a regular hitch hauler, which plugs into the receiver and offers a roughly 2x4' "bed". They usually have a 500# capacity, which would be plenty for your outboard and carry it low enough to not upset the balance of your vehicle.

I wouldn't want to put a 200# load on a vertical post and expect my receiver to take the torque that could put on it on a rough road.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

i have seen motor supports for receivers, cannot find on on line. i know they are there, because i almost bought one. they are similar to the spare tire mount.

http://store.uhaul.com/Hitch_access...ories/Front_Mount_Receiver_Spare_Tire_Carrier

i think with that weight motor, i would want straps that came from the top of the bracket to each side of the bumper. to stop sway.

i had one of the bed inserts http://www.hidden-hitch.com/p-63153/24x60_Railed_Cargo_Carrier_for_2_Trailer_Hitches.html that i had a dog box on. the weight of it broke the mounting brackets on the Jeep. the installer findly had to make a hitch welded to the jeep frame.

The_Kid

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks for the advice. Based on what you're describing, I wonder if something like the "Extend-a-truck" would sort of work (see link). I'm not sure I like the 55" above hitch height, but with the right bracket it might be ok. Probably would want to also fasten it to the roof rack for extra support?

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_19670_19670

This one might work a little better. 36" extension bar, 48-3/8" crossbar, 48-3/8" maximum height, 16-5/8" minimum height

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=39168