Low bench seat height

salmonee

Chief Petty Officer
What's the downside of having a low bench seat height? I'm referring to the sport seating models. The seat on some are higher than others.

a70eliminator

Captain
Re: Low bench seat height

Being able to see for one, probably no storage underneath, but having a lower C.G. is a good thing.

mars bar

Petty Officer 1st Class

If you have the storage space , the only thing I can see is comfort. My rear bench is set at 14" high but I lack storage.

zach103

Commander

If you have the storage space , the only thing I can see is comfort. My rear bench is set at 14" high but I lack storage.

i agree. mines gotta be about the same and i really cant put anything under except ropes and shtuff like that

salmonee

Chief Petty Officer

It has plenty of storage underneath. I'm strictly referring to comfort. I'm talking about the back support of the bench and not where your bottom actually sits on. Sorry for the confusion. I was at Sea Ray yesterday and noticed that their 205 has a real low seat back while the same boat in 195 has a significantly higher seat back similar to a car.

I guess from my point of view, the high seat back would be better for little ones so they don't pop out the boat if you hit a big wake by accident. I guess it's also a down side now that I think about it for getting in and out of the boat through the stern.

zach103

Commander

IMG_0106-1.jpg

thats mine.. its perfect for me

reelfishin

Captain

It has plenty of storage underneath. I'm strictly referring to comfort. I'm talking about the back support of the bench and not where your bottom actually sits on. Sorry for the confusion. I was at Sea Ray yesterday and noticed that their 205 has a real low seat back while the same boat in 195 has a significantly higher seat back similar to a car.

I guess from my point of view, the high seat back would be better for little ones so they don't pop out the boat if you hit a big wake by accident. I guess it's also a down side now that I think about it for getting in and out of the boat through the stern.

It may have something to do with visibility as far as pulling a skier? Lower seat backs are easier to see around and feel more open when on the water.
I've never been found of a seat that blocks my view if I turn my head to see who's coming up behind me.
A grab handle of some sort would probably do more to help retain passengers than tall seats. Usually if the boat hits a wake hard enough to toss passengers, 4 or 5 inches difference in seat height probably won't make that much difference. I've only had a few boats that would could be considered sport boats or ski boats, the best seats in my opinion were those with grab handles on each side of the seats.