Sliced through my HULL!!! 12 inches

zarillus

Petty Officer 1st Class
:eek:

Well i was cutting out the old wood out near the edge and circular saw depth was a 1/16 too far and i sliced through the hull.What shouls i use to repair this? I searched the forums and i don't see anything about the repair!!

Help Please:eek:

a70eliminator

Captain
Re: Sliced through my HULL!!! 12 inches

Oh man, now you've done it! Total scrap just count you losses and move on>

a70eliminator

Captain

JUST KIDDING!
It's should be a fairly easy fix with epoxie and a little prep work post some pics. Your not the first one to have done it.

zarillus

Petty Officer 1st Class

Damn i wish i had my digital camera!! The slice is of course below the waterline on the starboard side.12 inches in length and about 4 inches from the side.

a70eliminator

Captain

Well i give it shot, first are you able to get at it from the inside? i'm guessing yes. what i would do is get a fiberglass kit from wally world or and auto parts store, cut you some peices that will fit through the cuts and portrude out the bottom, depending on how wide the cut is you may get two or three pieces ready for each of the cut like 2-12"x2" and 4 of the 4" long by 2" wide.
saturate those pieces in fiberglass resin and insert into the cut and push-pull it through half way so some is sticking out below and above let it harden and trim off flush, there may be some other techniques too like just applying masking tape to the bottom and pouring epoxie into the crack till full and let cure but not sure if that would be enough alone without any reinforcing material? There are probably many ways to seal it up and i wouldn't think structure support would be hindered, you could always lay some mat over the whole area inside afterwards. I any event don't loose sleep over it just continue on with what you were doing it's not that big a deal.

maxum247

Lieutenant

Man! I feel for ya!
I remember a couple of occasions where I thought I had cut or drilled a hole through my boat hull.
Actually sounds like the cut is in your favor position wise for repairing gives you room all the way round the cut to make the repair it sounds like. max!

zarillus

Petty Officer 1st Class

a70eliminator-thanks for the advice,i thought i just screwed up the whole thing.I was starting freak out!!! The cut itself is the width of the circular saw blade and yes i can get to from the inside,i can see the cement floor below.I think i will take your advice and fill the slice with the strips of fiberglass and let them overhang and then when dry cut them flush on each side and lay new glass sevaral layers on the inside in a criss cross pattern for strength.

I think that would be a good fix

Thanks Again!!!!

SuzukiChopper

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Don't forget the prep work on that fix! Use an angle grinder with a flapper disk to bevel the edges slightly and do some grinding around the slice as well. Make sure you have a nice clean surface to work with. I would back the repair on the outside of the hull with some wax paper or something the resin won't stick to so that you can get your first bit of cloth and resin pushed right flush with the outside of the hull, then fair in a few flat layers on the inside for a good bond. Then what you do on the outside is up to you.

The biggest thing is to prep the area inside so you don't find the repair de-laminating a while down the road after your deck is in and sealed... then you will be repairing it from the outside.

allenweeks

Cadet

take you a grinder with about a 60 grit paper on it and get under the boat. wear goggle and a mask! grin all the way down the down feathering it out about 2 inches out from the cut on both sides of the cut. just take the gel coat off. once you get to the glass, get a fiberglass repair kit from walmart and cut to size about 3 layers. brush resin and glass until done and let cure. go back after curing and flush it out and repaint the area. all done!