roller ?

david_r

Lieutenant Junior Grade
i have 2 bass boat trailers and the one my boat is on now has too deep of a belly and the bow stop is too high and un-adjustable, the other one has a shallow belly but one of the rollers has a bad spot that goes all the way to the metal--no rubber, and it has adjustable bow stop.

i plan on trying to swipe one of the rollers from the other trailer.

before i go trying to pry off this little cap looking thing--is there an easy way to remove the roller bolt/pin?....can i reuse them?

i havent started prying on anything yet--that will be tomorrow, but i did look at them and they look to me like those little keepers that hold the wheels on kid stuff like tricycles and what not......only these are a lot bigger.......thats why i was asking for advice. i thought maybe there was a simple way.

mthieme

Captain
Re: roller ?

Rollers have different fasteners. A better description if not a picture would go a long way.
Some have bolts, some have flat e-clips, some have a unique round "C" clip for the lack of a better description, and I'm sure others. Depending on it's condition, it may very well be re-usable. If it's clip on the back of a 'salt water' trailer, count on replacing it.

david_r

Lieutenant Junior Grade

i think i found a thread about these and they may be called "pal nuts"?........they just look like a little hat.

from what ive read i think i have to tear them up to get them off.

david_r

Lieutenant Junior Grade

i do appreciate your help and will take any advice you can give me.

its fresh water but old.....i probably should replace them all as they are kind of hard compared to the other trailer.

jpmurphy

Petty Officer 1st Class

i think i found a thread about these and they may be called "pal nuts"?........they just look like a little hat.

from what ive read i think i have to tear them up to get them off.

I think that was my thread and yes, without seeing a picture, they probably are pal nuts. Been too cold to do anything the past 2 days, however, tomorrow I'm putting a metal cutting blade in my jig saw and and take them off off off.

I got the pal nuts and shafts from the iBoat store few a couple of bucks and they arrived in just a few days.

I'd check the rest of the rollers while I was down there as well.

Good luck...:)

david_r

Lieutenant Junior Grade

yep it was your thread!

i was just trying for a quick fix......the transom on my other boat was rotten so i bought another boat last week and used my own trailer and motor........but i put it on the wrong trailer because i had the other one occupied by an aluminum boat..and i thought it would fit my current trailer better...and the old boat is pretty much junk.

i am going buy all new rollers, including a self centering, as soon as the big hole in my wallet heals a little.

jpmurphy

Petty Officer 1st Class

yeah. Wallets are like gas tanks on a car. They keep going empty and are getting harder and harder to fill up. :rolleyes:

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral

You have to be creative getting those pal nuts off. I used a small sledge hammer and an old cold chisel, but I replaced everything except the roller brackets when I updated my trailer. I found the best price on replacement hardware at the local Academy sporting goods store, they were price competitive with online stores after figuring in shipping.