Fixing a hole in a aluminum boat joint

Saskatoon2005

Master Chief Petty Officer
Hello all,

I need help fixing a hole (or maybe I should say "gap"), in a joint where the bow meets the keel. The joint is under the water line, and I don't know how much "flex" happens at that point....I include pics of the area.

Attachments

• starcraftguttedandpaint003.jpg
    starcraftguttedandpaint003.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 0

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: Fixing a hole in a aluminum boat joint

Is it leaking? That is where the extra keel support is attached to the hull. It is a common gap. I would imagine there is even a hole at the other end of that to allow water out. It is a "drainable" piece.

Can you get a closer shot? It is almost worth having welded or use the gray marinetex (or jb weld) to build it and smooth it.

Saskatoon2005

I believe that water is getting into my boat from there. i see no water coming out of the rear of this keel only the front hole that seems to go into my boat. YES, my boat is leaking. Thanks for all who replied so far, does anyone have any ideas how to fix this area of the boat?

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Fix it from the inside with gluvit. It may take a few applications but the gluvit will flow into the holes and you can build up the repair. As far as the outside you can use marine tex putty but that should be done just for cosmetic reasons. The true repair will happen from the inside out.

bowman316

Lieutenant Commander

I had a gap in my aluminum boat, but jb weld on the outside, and i has been water tight for years. Not a drop. Use the regular, not the kwick, the regular is stronger.

Saskatoon2005

Thanks for the help, I have to try and get the hole fixed before i hit the water in the spring up here in canada...YEEHAW!

5150abf

Vice Admiral

Welding is out, most times there is some sort of gasket material sandwiched between the keel and boat, you will never get it to weld.

Have you found the actual leak?

Put it on some saw horses and put some water in it(2''-3'') and mark exactly where it leaks, unless you can actually see a hole it is probably loose rivets which can easily be rebucked.

Gluvit is a great product but in my opinion it is a band-aid fix, the boat still leaks you just put a band aid on it.

If it is rivets get a buddy and rebuck them and they will be good for another 20 years.

Saskatoon2005

JB Weld is not actually "welding" the aluminum as in melting the aluminum etc. It is an epoxy compound that hardens and then I'll use gluvit around it to make sure it is sealed. There is a "gap" between the area that I have shown that has some rubberized material in it. I have removed someof it, not thinking and that is where the leak is. i will fix the hole and let you guys know how it works out....also I will tell everyone if that hole is made during manufacturing or is the result of the something the previous owner had struck.

Patrick