2battery hook-up

iboats4me

Recruit
I would like to carry a spare battery in case 1 goes dead. Can any one tell me how to hook-up 2 batteries with a switch from one to the other? thank you

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: 2battery hook-up

Here ya go but the best advice is to follow the directions that come with the switch. The point of the switch is to prevent the starting battery from going dead in the first place. OFF obviously turns everything off. In the BAT 1 position your starting battery is on-line and runs everything in the boat. On BAT 2 it runs everything on the boat. On BOTH, both batteries run everything on the boat. So the trick is to start the engine on BAT 1 (or BOTH). When underway switch to BAT 2 (or leave it on BOTH if that's what you started with). If you anchor somewhere, listen to tunes, fish, or whatever, switch to BAT 2. It then runs everything on the boat while BAT 1 sits around doing nothing. When you are ready to go, switch back to BAT 1 (or BOTH) and away you go. If you sucked BAT 2 down really low, switch to BAT 1 which will be fresh. Then go to BOTH when the engine has started. BAT 2 AND BAT 1 get charged when under way. ONLY BAT 1 OR BAT 2 will charge if that's what you have the switch set to. Finally, with one exception, ALL accessories on the boat must be connected to the COM terminal on the switch. The exception to this is the bilge pump which should be connected to one or the other of the two batteries, especially if the boat is moored in a marina and you have a float switch. If the pump was wired to the COM terminal on the switch and you had it turned OFF, the boat sinks if it takes on water because the pump won't run.

StandardBatterySwitchWiring.jpg

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: 2battery hook-up

You don't have to worry about switching a make-before-break switch. I'm not sure a non-make-before-break switch is even made anymore.