Bay Fishing!

Chsrlietuna

Cadet
I'm new to the hole saltwater thing, mainly fished party boats last summer for blues, stripers, and cod. I hear people talking about "bay fishing"! What do people catch while bay fishing and where can I find these bays in NY? I live upstate and would prefer not to have to drive all the way out on Long Island. Thanks in advance for info.:)

-C.Tuna

alangf

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Bay Fishing!

You say you are from "Upstate New York" but don't say how far upstate. You can catch pretty much anything you are likely to catch in a bay in the Saint Lawerence Seaway. Other than that and if you are further north I would consider the area around the Thousand Islands and the Great Lakes. Granted it is fresh water but the Great Lakes are more like fresh water oceans than lakes.

Chsrlietuna

Cadet

Guess I should have been more clear:confused:

I Live Near Albany and have just experienced saltwater fishing for the first time last summer. I caught blues, Cod, Haddock and Pollock. (and loved it)

I grew up in Wisconsin and have fished and caught all freshwater species available in the north with the exception of Sturgeon and the little gar they sometimes have. I recently purchased a 16 foot aluminum boat, I caught blues in a similar boat in NH last summer. I know I have to pick my days as the ocean can be bitchy. I am looking to find bays that are protected so if I tow the boat 3 hours it would be a good chance I would use it. I am looking to catch Blues, Stripers, fluke and anything else I can land. I'll shore fish if the seas are too rough.

I have heard of the Saint Lawrence and would like to check it out. It is also a hike from where I am. Where does the saltwater end? Where do you go for salmon and large trout? Right now I am gearing up for the upcoming Striped Bass season. (should start any day now)

Took a while for a reply to this one, I just thought everyone is protective of their secret spots. (don't worry, I'm still learning and can guarantee wont catch much if anything).:D;)

-CT

rolmops

Vice Admiral

Take the Turn Pike (rt#90) direction Boston and aim for either Cape Cod or Cape Ann.
Gloucester is great for cod and haddock while in July the stripers and Tuna will turn on.
Cape Cod in very nice for smaller boats and you will have endless blues,stripers and flounder.
All of this is less than 4 hours away from Albany.

matthewp

Petty Officer 2nd Class

you hit it on the head when you said you'll have to pick your days. Your 16 footer can get you into some good fishing, though, no doubt about it. Once I'm done rebuilding my 21' starcraft, I'm thinking of acquiring a 16 footer for the early season estuaries. If it's stripers and blues you're after, it doesn't get much better than cape cod. I belong to some other fishing related boards, and I certainly don't want to burn any spots, but I'll give you some clues as to what to look for.

Cape Cod: early season striper fishing in the estuaries is fantastic - you can fish estuaries pretty much any day in your boat - but be sure you're protected if the wind is up. It should be starting any time now. If it were me, I'd start looking on the south shore of the cape. You don't need to go far - halfway out on the cape is far enough. Again, in the estuaries. This time of year, you need shallow water and warm days. check a map for boat ramps close to shallow water and protected areas.

With a 16 footer, you'll REALLY want to be picky on fishing open ocean. but like I said, there is plenty of great fishing to be had in well protected areas - mostly early season. As the season progresses, those areas warm up too much and the fish move out to colder water.

Word to the wise: however nice it may be in the morning - it will very very likely be rougher in the afternoon. Be sure that the ramp is within striking distance if it gets bumpy out there.

fishinhardwater

Seaman Apprentice

you said u dont want to fish long island, but what about long island sound?

how about great kills harbor in staten island, or the hudson river...

raritan bay is a great place too

we have been catching bass near seaside heights, NJ in barnegat bay. 4 hours from albany all the places listed above are closer to you 3 hours or less.

heres pictures of some of the ones we kept out of barnegat bay within the last 2 weekends.

DSCF0738.jpg

DSCF0739.jpg

DSCF0730.jpg

PIC_0128_1.jpg

Chsrlietuna

Cadet

Thanks for the Great info guys!
I would love to fish the cape! Yes LI sound is where I was thinking but wanted to go in from the NY/Connecticut side. I am open to NJ but I have logged thousands of hours driving there and in Queens to know I would rather not haul a boat through that traffic. I have however bought a new surf fishing set up which will allow me to fish farther from home on shorter notice and not have to do as much homework or pray for good weather.

Caught my first Striped bass on the Hudson river out of my new boat Saturday. Not huge about 22 inches but a great first fish. Now I am working on catching another (Thursday night).

-CT