1968 33 hp evinrude twin ski propeller help!

harrison10

Cadet
I have a 1968 33 hp twin ski, im trying to figure out how to take the prop off...I have tried to research and i cant find any pictures. I have removed the small pin that was bent and taken the first little black head off. From then i am confused everyone talks of there being a nut to take off but im not seeing it. Anyone able to guide me? thanks.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1968 33 hp evinrude twin ski propeller help!

Heck, you almost have it off already.
Remove the cotter pin;
Remove the black plastic cone (it's called a prop nut, but it isn't really a nut);
Push/slide the drive pin out of the prop;
Pull the prop off the shaft.

It should all be extremely simple. Can even be done without tools in an emergency. Unless something is rusted or corroded in place.

harrison10

Cadet

ahh well thank you for the quick reply. So my problem seems to be that the drive pin is stuck, should it just slide out? i cant get it to budge.....

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

must not have been an OEM pin. drive it out. rusted in place.

harrison10

Cadet

By drive do you mean beat it with a hammer? :)

F_R

Supreme Mariner

yep, hammer and a punch. The OEM pin is stainless steel so shouldn't rust like that. You really should use a stainless cotter pin also. It is easy to see what will happen if the cotter pin rusts away.

304575 drive pin
306394 cotter pin

EDIT: I suggest you NOT soak it with penetrating oil. It may seep in and damage the rubber shock hub in the prop. A little dab probably won't hurt.

Last edited:

harrison10

Cadet

So, I have beat the crap out of the pin with a hammer and no luck, i cant even get it to budge.... Any ideas? i am unfortunately limited to tools. If i take off all the screws on the bottom can i get it off backwards? thanks for the help :)

F_R

Supreme Mariner

NO! That will not work. If you absolutely cannot bash the pin out, it probably will need to be drilled out. Sorry about that.

harrison10

Cadet

any special drill bit to use that doesn't take 1 hour to get 1 inch>? :confused:

Woodstock60

Petty Officer 1st Class

Do not take those screws out unless you plan on re-sealing the lower unit. Try beating it in both directions, get a good strong thin punch and brace the end of the shaft being careful not to bend or break anything. If its been in salt water you may have to drill it out, a particularly difficult thing to do. explore all other options before that. The pin is sopposed to be a shear pin which is a softer metal and should break off before damage is done to the steel, that being said who knows what the guy before you did . That concept applies to women too.

twodogs257

Recruit

I know this thread is old, but I have a question about the lower unit on my 33. While draining the lube, which I took out both screws, I saw another screw just below the hole that the lube was draining out of. I got this wild hair and unscrewed it thinking that I could get even more lube out. Well....I did, but can't get that screw back in. Any ideas on how to get it back in there? The screw is about an inch long with the head, threads then unthreaded to the end. Do I need to take the lower unit completely off to fix this fubar? Thanks, Cliff. :confused: