Clorox and Motor oil in fuel

member33

Cadet
I found out someone poured a pint or little less of clorox in my gas tank and also a quart of 30 weight motor oil in it. What will these products do to my engine? If I start it up will it ruin the motor? . Do I start it up and just let it run? Or leave it sitting? If so, leaving it sitting does that make it worse?
Some say start it. Some say heck no dont start it it'll ruin my engine soon as it goes thru. Advice and information on what this can do to my engine is really needed.

QC

Supreme Mariner
Re: Clorox and Motor oil in fuel

Welcome aboard #33.

I changed the title from "Help needed immediately" to the above. Titles like that will cause some to ignore you. Everybody's thread needs attention ;) Also, although this really not an engine problem per se, it would be nice if you gave us your engine info . . . Annnnnnnd I moved it here as it is not a Tracker issue either. You'll get way more information in this section. And finally, who'd you P off? :p That sounds like a scorned lover or a really mad friend :eek:

OK, to your problem. How much gas is in the tank? Probably should just pump all of it it out to be safe . . .

NoKlu

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I'm not sure what the Bleach will do diluted like that but I would drain the tank ASAP. By itself bleach is pretty bad stuff. It could destroy seals and other plastic parts. Could eat some parts of the sending unit in the tank. Why take the chance? I just did a qiuck search and it seems Jamie and Adam the famous Mythbusters did this. Some bleach was add to the gas tank of a Cadillac and then it was started. The bleach caused the motor to stall and they couldn't start it again. They left the tank sit overnight and when they cleaned the tank the next day the bleach had rusted the tank. They knew the tank was good before the bleach as they had run a few other "additives" through the engine and had cleaned the tank between tests. This might have ruined your Tank.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

never heard of the problem, but i sure would not take any chances on the bleach. the 30 wt would just make it smoke. the early motors 1955 and older ran on 30wt oil for the mix.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

TD, You are correct about the older motors running on SAE-30 oil, however it was non-detergent motor oil. Todays SAE-30 oil can be non-detergent, or have detergent in it. The detergent is bad for the motor.

Utahboatnut

Senior Chief Petty Officer

To me with the price of gas as low as it is right now I would drain it and start over with new gas. I wouldn't take the chance running that cocktail through my engine no matter what it was. The oil wouldn't hurt it (other than all the smoke which would be alot) Start with new gas and maybe even throw in a bottle of seafoam along with the full tank of gas. I saw locking boat gas caps at a local boat store for 25-30 bucks or a good watch dog for a few bucks more.

I saw locking boat gas caps at a local boat store for 25-30 bucks or a good watch dog for a few bucks more.

Dog food ain't cheap!!!

Any bleach would tend to just settle in the bottom of the tank and work it's wonders on whatever it happened to be in contact with. Get it out of there ASAP.

DuckOfDeath

Seaman
Re: Help!

I doubt anyone will know for certain what bleach will or won't do to your engine. Why take a chance? Just drain the gas tank.

achris

More fish than mountain goat

Bleach is highly corrosive. Even leaving it in the tank will have unknown consequences... Drain it all out, including all the fuel lines upto the engine, replace all fuel filters, wash the tank and refill using a fuel stabilizer.

HTH

chris..........

gcboat

Lieutenant Commander

I'm thinking the water content in the bleach rather than the chemicals itself would do more damage. Agree will ^ posts - get rid of it and start fresh.

Bondo

Staff member

Any bleach would tend to just settle in the bottom of the tank and work it's wonders on whatever it happened to be in contact with. Get it out of there ASAP.

Ayuh,... Exactly,...

Bleach will seperate just like Water,.... Just get that $h!t outa there,... Bleach on Metal is never good...

If you could get in through the gauge sender hole or something,...
You could suck it off the bottom of the tank with a tube, rather than draining the whole tank,...
The Oil won't hurt anything,+ the Gas is still Good,...
You've just gotta get the Bleach out of it....

What'd ya Do,.... P!zz off the Ole Lady,..??..?? :D :D

mphy98

Lieutenant

Checked with our techs here at the dealership. They said get it out of there as well. Bleash will mess up injectors, seals ect. Cheaper now than later.

a70eliminator

Captain

What in the world were they thinking putting clorox in the tank, I've never ever heard of that before, some wivestale remedy or what?

windsors03cobra

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Probably pissed off the ole lady as mentioned, hence the bleach and the reason he found out. Hope your bigger problems (marriage) work out.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Duplicate Post

I will merge this with your other post.

Tim Frank

Vice Admiral

Probably pissed off the ole lady as mentioned, hence the bleach and the reason he found out. Hope your bigger problems (marriage) work out.

You are probably right, the chlorox is the least of the problems....:rolleyes:

member33

Cadet
Re: Bleach in my fuel tank

Re: Bleach in my fuel tank

Ok. Thanks. This is what a dealerships have told me.

1. dont start the engine under any circumstances, dont even turn on the key because the fuel pump will come on.And that will be it.

2. Bleach will ruin the tank and all the lines etc

3. My motor is a 4 stroke so it already has oil IN the motor, that if the car motor oil goes through there, it will completely ruin the engine and I'd have to most likely spend 5000 bucks on a whole new engine, plus Id' lose my warranty.

They said disconnect everything from the motor, (mercury 60) and bring the whole boat to a dealership so the tank can be taken out.

They said clorox is definitely not good, and that motor oil in the gas will ruin the motor if it runs through it. That it wont "just smoke" it will burn up my motor. As in, Ruin it. They said both those things were definitely bad news and if they had primed the bulb when they put it in, then thats even worse.
As I said its been sitting for a few days and not been started.

They said the longer it sits the worse it will be.

You guys think that sounds like the right advice?

Ok I'm a novice boater. Oh and no, wife and I enjoy the boat together, but have we do have some deliquent kids in the neighborhood who most likely did this as immature vandalism. We both found the bleach bottle and the oil laying under the boat. I have no maritial problems and kind of resent the snide comments. What I have is some kids that need to be disciplined instead of terrozing the neighborhood. Not a disgruntled friend, or marriage issues, thank you.

I wanted advice on the problem, not an "intervention" from "couch Dr. Phils".
Lets just stick with the techical issue and not get personal.

I'd appreciate it.

Thanks.

achris

Most of the advice above sounds ok, except for the oil ruining the engine... Won't happen. Yes it would be a little smoky, but that's all. Engines are designed to have oil in them, especially 4 strokes. A small amount of oil gets passed the rings when the engine is running, especially when they are new. Engines are NOT ruined by having engine oil in the fuel. Best thing for the first tank of fuel is to throw in some 2 stroke oil, about 4 or 500 to 1. It's called 'Upper cylinder lube'.

Chris.....

P.S. you know who these little b***stards are, right... Front the parents and tell them the next time you'll be filing a police report and sending them the bill for the repairs.

member33

Cadet

So you think the oil wont hurt the motor? Because I dont add oil to my gas, it just plain gas. The man at tracker said vehicle oil mixing in my motor with oil thats already "in there" itself, will ruin it. That car oil shouldnt be in a boats gas. Especially the 4 stroke. Im getting confused.

achris

Normal 4 stroke engine oil shouldn't be mixed with fuel for an engine, but if there is some in the fuel it certainly will not 'ruin' an engine.

Other engine 'experts' like to add comment here?

Chris.............