Chrysler 45 conversion from Magnapower to "old" points type ignition

wolfie-uk

Petty Officer 2nd Class
OK folks, the Magnapower unit has finally given up the ghost, and getting a replacement here in the UK is very expensive and rare as rocking horse muck.

I am told that it is possible to convert back to points / condensor system and fit new ignition coils, is it possible ? and has anyone on here done it before, do i have to change the coils ? if so what type, would motorbike coils work as they are a lot cheaper than marine ones ?

any help and advice would be very much appreciated.

regards

Neal

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Re: Chrysler 45 conversion from Magnapower to "old" points type ignition

Yes, it is possible but never having done it I don't know the exact parts needed. It is also possible to convert back to magneto ignition.

For a better answer, Google The Chrysler Crew and click on the chrysler marine website. Scroll down to questions and ask there.

Alternatively, you can join the chat room tonight, Thursday, at 9 to 11 PM Eastern time---I think about 5 PM your time. Greenwich is 5 hours behind us isn't it? There, you can ask Franz. He may have a reasonable magna power unit, shipping should not hurt too badly, and it will save you the trouble of converting. If you can't get to the chat room, contact franzmarine @aol.com.

wolfie-uk

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hi Frank, we are in front of you so 9pm your time on a Thursday is actually 3 am Friday morning here, thanks for the offer and info though on the chat room, will have to stay up one day and join in.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

Yeah! I have trouble with the rotation of the earth. With age, the mind is the second thing to go.

wolfie-uk

Petty Officer 2nd Class

hi, having read through the manual, i am going "forward" to the battery ignition system, one quick question, are my existing coils 12 volt, or do these need changing.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

The Magna Power coils may or may not be acceptable. I can not see any specific voltage levels for them in my manual. I can not even find a schematic for a 45 Magna-power ignition engine. I do know, however, that on the larger engines, if ignition is retrofit from CD ignition to battary and points, an automotive type 12 volt coil is used instead of the CD coil. Best advice I can offer is to check at the chrysler crew.

johnbell47

Seaman Apprentice

OK folks, the Magnapower unit has finally given up the ghost, and getting a replacement here in the UK is very expensive and rare as rocking horse muck.

I am told that it is possible to convert back to points / condensor system and fit new ignition coils, is it possible ? and has anyone on here done it before, do i have to change the coils ? if so what type, would motorbike coils work as they are a lot cheaper than marine ones ?

any help and advice would be very much appreciated.

regards

Neal
I have done this on a 4 cylinder 135. All you have to do is use a regular ignition coil off of a car and add a condenser off of the same car to the outside of the distributer. You must change the plugs to regular plugs. your manual may tell you what "standard type" plugs can be used in an emergency. use them, the points/coil system cannot fire surface gap plugs. Works pretty good, idle suffers a little but I was suprised that it could stand the 6,000 rpms I ran my motor at. I initally fitted this as a backup in case my ignition failed, it did, I changed the plugs and a couple of wires and got home, never bothered to change it back. by the way ford points fit the mallory dizzy. cheap!

wolfie-uk

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hi Johnbell47,
Thanks for the advice, my 45 does not have a distributor, under the flywheel is a pair of points along with the alternator windings, i will use these points to fire the coils / plugs and mount condenser's next to them, i found the diagrams used on 1980's to end of production in which they used the battery ignition system, i have ordered new 12 volt coils / condensers from my local motorbike shop, will post a diagram and photos when the conversion is done, hopefully it will help others should their Magnapower units fail.

regards

Neal

howstar

Recruit

I have chrysler 45 and live in the uk ,mine starts ok but after about 30 minutes it starts missing then dies that leave it for 5 to ten muinetes it ok .
and been told you convert it back to car coil
just wondered have you don it yet

wolfie-uk

Petty Officer 2nd Class

hi, yes converted on Friday 20th March, worked well then the bottom coil burnt out ( 1st attempt with cheap Motorbike coils ).

Howstar, drop me a pm with cont6act details and i'll discuss the system with you.

For the rest of you i will post a report on how it was done when i am sucessful.

byacey

Chief Petty Officer

If you are burning up the coil(s) then you probably need to install a series ballast resistor in the line from the ignition switch to the coils.

wolfie-uk

Petty Officer 2nd Class

hi, thanks for the advice on the ballast resistor, what do you reckon, one for each coil or one shared between the pair ?

Update, i have now fitted the Landrover coils, much better spark, both coils are fed from the blue ignition wire coming from the ignition switch.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

You are burning coils because most auto coils are 9 volt. This is because the battery voltage drops to about 9 volts at cranking. The ballast resistor is circuited to cut out at start. THUS: the coil gets full design voltage at cranking. Battery voltage does not drop so much on small outboards so a resistor circuit is not needed and a 12 volt coil is usually used. If you buy a 12 volt coil you will not need the ballast resistor and you will not burn them up.

howstar

Recruit

Newer cars had ballast restitor coils,
older cars such landrover before 1970 is probley just a 12volt coil, best check wiring daigram for car, it can be resistor or the wire it self has a resistor in it.
you could put it on the feed then it would do the 2 coils,

steve66

Seaman

Hi,i like yourself owned a 70 hp Chrysler and my ignition was also non existant too.I also live in the uk and spares for this model nwere either non existant or too expensive.Mine had a Mallory distributor and i also fitted a 12v coil to it.It ran like a dream,incidentally found out later the original coil pack was fine,just bad leads.I dont know what everyone else thinks but Chrysler outboards in the uk have a terrible name but the ones i have owned have been cracking well built little motors?
Steve

SLC Cole

Recruit

Hi Johnbell47,
Thanks for the advice, my 45 does not have a distributor, under the flywheel is a pair of points along with the alternator windings, i will use these points to fire the coils / plugs and mount condenser's next to them, i found the diagrams used on 1980's to end of production in which they used the battery ignition system, i have ordered new 12 volt coils / condensers from my local motorbike shop, will post a diagram and photos when the conversion is done, hopefully it will help others should their Magnapower units fail.

regards

Neal

Hi Wolfie

I know this thread is over a year old but hopefully you (or someone else out there) can help. I'm trying to do the same with my motor and I need some help. I just need to know where to mount things and how the wiring goes. A schematic would be fantastic and any help would be greatly appreciated.

Feel free to send me a PM and I'll give you my email.

Thanks