Evinrude 35 Throttle Probs After 20 Min

chrissiegwart

Recruit
Hi, I just joined the forum. I have a Evinrude 35, 3 cylinder, 1996, 2 strokes.
It has run like a clock for the last year, but now has developed an annoying problem. The first 20-30 min, it works OK, but after, when i put it on throttle, it sometimes shakes a bit, and when i go to accelerate, the engine stops. So, what i do then is start the engine. If it still shakes on throttle, i turn it off again. If it runs smoothly on throttle, then i have about 2 secs to increase power, and it runs as normal! As long as i don't go too close to the throttle speed. I would appreciate if someone could give me any advice.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Evinrude 35 Throttle Probs After 20 Min

Welcome to iboats. check your spark immediately after it dies, sounds like a coil getting hot an failing. then it cools down and works again. how is the pee stream? put you hand on top of the block, you should be able to hold it there for 3 -5 seconds, with out burning you. could be running hot.

chrissiegwart

Recruit
Re: Evinrude 35 Throttle Probs After 20 Min

hi, I just took the boat out today. After running the engine for 20 min
- The pee looked ok,
- I could touch the head for 2-3 secs,
- I removed the spark plug. Just after it went into this shaky mode.
They all look O.K, shiny and clean.
- I also tried to remove sprkplug lead one after the other to see if i could maybe detect the defect coil. But with no success.
- I also put new fuel 50-1.
- Next i plan to change the water pump!
- If it does not help then i will change the coil.
Any suggestions to find out which one is defect? Is there any way i could measure them???? Any other suggestions?
Thanks for you're help