Johnson 200 OceanPro

whalerone

Cadet
Hi All,

I'm looking at buying a 1995 Johnson 200 OP with "unknown" hours on it....

I went to see/hear the motor the otherday. I checked the compression (before the motor really had a chance to get warm) 98-95-96-94-92-89.

The motor was running on the muffs, so I understand that the exhaust would be mostly blowing out the prop, however, shouldn't there be a pretty good solid stream of water shooting out somewhere near the upper exhaust ports??... cause there was NO STREAM OF WATER shooting out!!!

Also, the heads seemed really hot to the touch?? is that normal?

VRO has already been disconnected. I did not notice any peeled paint on or around the powerhead. Also.. I did not think to check the oil in the lower unit for "milky discharge" no pun intended..

Just hoping someone can help me out with this??

thanks much,

christian

Last edited:

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Johnson 200 OceanPro

when looking from the back, the tale tell stream is on the lower cowl right side, if the motor has been sitting, it is normal for critters to live in the hose, and block it. compression numbers are OK. i would do a decarb on the motor, and replace the impeller. check lower fluid before buying. most outboards do not have hour meters.

whalerone

Cadet

Thanks much for the response...

So there is definitely a telltale stream of water that's supposed to be "pissing hard" out of the back, right? Because there was water squirting out way down low, just above the cavitation plate, but then again water is kinda squirting all over the place when the muffs are on.

The owner says water is not supposed to shoot out...because it all comes out through the prop.. "says so in the manual".. he says.

Does this sound fishy?

fixmyevinrude

Petty Officer 1st Class

My 1994 Evinrude 200 has a garden hose flushing port right under the motor cover in the back. When the hose is hooked up to it water comes out thru the hub of the prop and a few other places places right above the prop. When it is in the water the telltale is right where you hook up the garden hose a a fairly hard stream of water exits there. My motor is not an Ocean Pro.

Last edited:

junior1113

Senior Chief Petty Officer

have a 92 200 evin numbers are same and mine runs great water pump out let is in the back up high in the middle right under the cowling

whalerone

Cadet

Hey thanks very much for weighing in guys..

While he had the motor running on the muffs, I was looking right at that garden hose hook-up and noticed there was a bleed-valve looking kinda valve or plug?? Looked like you could probably turn it with your fingers?? It looked like it did belong there though. Wonder if this plug or valve is supposed to be removed/open when running in the water?? That tells me that this guy has never run the boat himself on the water or maybe he has and has been overheating and doesn't know why... maybe that's why he is selling??

Am I reaching on this??

Fl_Richard

Lieutenant

I have a 1995 150 OceanPro it has a pisser. Sometimes people put quick connects that dont **** on the water port for quick flushing. Looked at a 1996 200 it had a pisser too.

jonesg

Admiral

Hey thanks very much for weighing in guys..

While he had the motor running on the muffs, I was looking right at that garden hose hook-up and noticed there was a bleed-valve looking kinda valve or plug?? Looked like you could probably turn it with your fingers?? It looked like it did belong there though. Wonder if this plug or valve is supposed to be removed/open when running in the water?? That tells me that this guy has never run the boat himself on the water or maybe he has and has been overheating and doesn't know why... maybe that's why he is selling??

Am I reaching on this??

That pee outlet can be positioned for best view, or removed to accept a hose to downflush. It might be clogged with sand etc or waterpump might be tired. They don't run quite as smooth on a hose, mine splutters a bit on the hose but is very smooth in the water.
It will occasionally quit idling on a hose but never quits in the water.

The consensus is to look for signs of overheating (blisters in engine paint around the heads) and decent compression, anything else is maintainance.

splitshot

Petty Officer 1st Class

i have a 1976 200 and it pees strong out of the pee hole (right side when looking at the back of the motor) kinda weird his doesnt...but if the tops of the heads are getting hot its not cooling like it should..mine can idle for 10 minutes on muffs and its barely warm to the touch

fixmyevinrude

Petty Officer 1st Class

I think that "bleed-valve looking kinda valve or plug" is your tell-tale and if you look closely at it you will see that there is a small hole in one end of it where the water stream comes out. The reason it looks like you can turn it with your fingers is because you can. You can turn it to shoot the water to one side or the other so you can visually check it while you are running down the lake. Adjust it for easy viewing from your boat. There is a plastic nut that surronds it that you will have to loosen to adjust it. You may want to take it completely off to inspect it for dirt as it can easily become clogged. There should also be a rubber washer similar to a garden hose washer installed in it. This maybe is why you don't see any water coming out of it. Personally I have never felt real comfortable with muffs making a good enough seal to run the motor.