overhead support question .....GOT IT

rentprop1

Petty Officer 1st Class
others have posted before about supporting the boat to lift off the trailer, what about this idea ?

I need to do some work on my smaller boat, mostly the trailer....I need to fashion some type of overhead support to lift the rear of the boat off the trailer and pull it out from under the boat...

what I was thinking was a couple of 4 x 4 built like a double T...see diagram

-------------
......I.......I
......I.......I
......I.......I

the drawing is crude...... if I took a couple of 4 x 4 x 8 's with another 4 x 4 as the top cross member......probably needs to support 5-600 lbs max....and the post in concrete......thoughts ?

Bondo

Staff member
Re: overhead support question

I need to do some work on my smaller boat,

Ayuh,.... How much Weight,..??

It's usually Safer to use Blocking from below...

rentprop1

Petty Officer 1st Class

....probably needs to support 5-600 lbs max

its a 14 foot skiff type with a Ev 50 hp, I figured it cant weigh more than about 500 lbs ?????

and the front of the boat will still be in the trailer for the most part !

If I find I need to pull the entire trailer out from under the boat, I was thinking of using an engine hoist to help with the front weight till I can lower to the ground on blocks

THE ISSUE I SEE WITH BLOCKING - is I need to lift the front of the trailer as well to pull the trailer out from under the boat ?? how do I keep moving blocks as I pull the trailer out ??

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

Even a light boat feels heavy when it is on your head. But with a boat that small, don't bother with blocking or anything for that matter. Simply tilt the engine, lift the front of the trailer, and slowly, using the winch, slide the boat onto the grass if you have a yard. If you are doing it in the driveway, use a couple of sheets of plywood to prevent scratching the bottom and the engine skeg (which will usually contact the ground.)

After the trailer work is done, use the winch again to crank the boat back on. Not much different than putting it in the water and taking it out again.

NO FUSS, NO MUSS, NO BOTHER!

Forget the overhead idea, Frank is giving you great advice. I've done it several times myself, with a 16' Tidecraft and a 50 horse Merc. Except you may want to block the wheels and tie a short section of rope from the trailer tongue to your hitch to keep the tongue little closer to the ground. And if you have carpeted bunks, wet them down with a little soapy water.

rentprop1

Petty Officer 1st Class

I know I can block the transom and jack up the front then start to roll the trailer out, but I would need to re-block ( for the axle ) and re-block again for the rear cross section on the trailer, I would be doing this myself and just seems like a lot of work, plus hard to see when taking the trailer out

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

this works for any size boat.

Getting Boat Off Trailer

you don't need stands.

1/you can lower the tongue to the ground. i would get some 6x6 or old railroad crossties cut the +- 12 inches, now block up the transom. 2/

Raise the tongue of the trailer the back of trailer will drop away from trailer. this is the tricky part. between the cross braces of the trailer block the keel lower trailer, boat will be suspended on the blocks.

3/ pull forward, lift bow again, and reblock i a different place. repeat until trailer is out from under the boat.

4/ to reload, just reverse the procedure.

if you were just working on the bunks, or painting the bottom. you could just do the first 2 steps.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

If you use the process of winching the boat back on the trailer, make sure the tongue is raised very high so the boat is pulled onto the trailer as straight as possible. If the winch line is pulling downward on the bow of the boat you run the risk of bending the keel at the mid point of the boat. Not a good thing.

rentprop1

Petty Officer 1st Class

well I did it , used a combo overhead / underneath method....... trailer is at the welding shop for minor repairs....It wasn't that hard, but would have been nice with a helper.....the engine hoist is there for safety support.......lifted the back as others suggested, but jacking the middle presented an issue as I couldn't get to the center of the boat.....putting it back on the trailer looks to be a breeze.
smallboat001.jpg

BeeLiner*87

Cadet
Re: overhead support question .....GOT IT

WOW...Its like you answered my prayers with this thread.

I desperately need to replace bunks but don't want to take boat to marina blah blah blah...
I even believe I have RR ties behind house(next to tracks)

I was thinking that I could jack up one side and have the opposite rest on the far bunk while I replace the fore bunk, then reverse the process.

Does that make sense? Its late:confused:

rentprop1

Petty Officer 1st Class

Beeliner, your jack up one side sounds like a lot less hassle, but if you get the boat completely off it will give you extra time to inspect work on the entire trailer......its worth it for that little extra hassle in the beginning

J. Mark

Petty Officer 1st Class

I feel it is important to note that cinder blocks are not a great method for supporting heavy items. On you boat you will probably get away with it.

Folks put cars on cinder blocks a fair amount and the blocks will from time to time disintegrate. If hit or damaged in any way the cinder blocks will fail.

That is why wood blocks are recommended.

scoutabout

Lieutenant Commander

I concur with J. Mark. Do not use cinderblocks. Those things will hold just fine right up to the instant they explode in a cloud of concrete dust. Wood all the way.

Also, I'm interested in that shelter you've got. Looks great. Is it a prefab unit you can buy off the shelf? What are the dimensions?

rentprop1

Petty Officer 1st Class

Also, I'm interested in that shelter you've got. Looks great. Is it a prefab unit you can buy off the shelf? What are the dimensions?

that's one of those cheapie $ 895 carport specials they sell all over Florida...

its not bad for keeping the sun & rain off, but scares the hell out of me when the wind blows....mine measures 20 x 20..... its a kit they come and install it for the $ 895 in about an hour, its secured by red heads into the concrete, and if installed on dirt/gravel they use a 24 inch cork screw type anchoring device...we haven't had a hurricane here yet, but I don't expect it to last threw any more than 50 mph winds.....and for you folks up north I doubt they would hold any snow load

just Google metal carports and a ton of them come up

scoutabout

Lieutenant Commander

Thanks much. Yeah, snow would be the issue all right. Three feet of wet stuff over that area would be awful heavy. And I'm not there in the winter to clean it off regularly.

Then again, I wonder if I could fabricate intermediate braces in between to beef up the structure...It's tempting as that thing would pay for itself in under two years of winter storage fees. :)