Impeller Replacement 200 Ocean Runner (1998)

Richman

Seaman Apprentice
Y'all, I must be dense but my manual just doesn't give me a logical sequence of steps to get to the impeller. Can anyone provide me a link where someone has done a decent pictoral for dropping the lower unit on a large horse OMC? I know it is not too difficult but the Clymer sez I have to remove lower shrouds and other linkages on the top end., makes no sense to me. Isn't it a matter of removing four bolts and coaxing the lower unit off, removing the old, installing the new kit and gently coaxing the LU back in place? Any thoughts, including criticism is OK.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner
Re: Impeller Replacement 200 Ocean Runner (1998)

To get to the shift linkage easily the pans need to come off. Well, the port side anyway. Lower unit won't drop unless the shift is disconnected. Taking the port pan off is a snap.

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

There are a total of seven bolts to remove from the underside of the gearcase if you include the one that holds the trim tab.

Removing the lower engine cover greatly aids in getting the shift rod back in place and reconnecting it under the carburetors; it also helps in disconnecting the shift rod. The shift rod lever pin is accessed from the port side.

The parts catalogs diagrams for the cylinder and cranckcase, lower engine cover and the gearcase will help you to visualize the parts. http://shop.evinrude.com/

Just click the parts diagram in the upper right corner of the page and navigate to your motor.

Be sure to mark the position of your trim tab so that you can put it back in the same place.

Try not to turn the shift rod.

Richman

Seaman Apprentice

Gentlemen,

I have completed replacing the impeller, thanks for your guidance. in reinstalling the LU the problem I am having now is that the shift rod coming up from the lower unit is just about one half inch short of aligning so I can put the shift rod lever pin back in. The lower unit is essentially back in place, I kind of expected the rod to align perfectly.

Two thoughts:

1) I can get a pair of needle nose on the shift rod and try to coax it up into alignment (Am I gonna damage anything?)

2) I can move the gear shift at the helm to try and align. (Ezeke said " try not to turn shift rod")

How bout it?

Fl_Richard

Lieutenant

Pull it up with needle nose pliers.

Unless you removed it from the gearcase it should already be adjusted. You most likely pushed it down while aligning the gearcase. Just pull it up and it should be fine.

Turning the shift rod changes it's length. Thats why its a no no. Moving the shift lever in the control box to aid alignment is OK.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

When you had the lower unit off did you notice the shift rod was loose? Lots of folks do and screw it down. It may turn all by itself coming off or going on. That's why the height has to be checked just before it goes back on. Every time.

Richman

Seaman Apprentice

Did not notice it to be terribly loose. I'm very sure it went back on exactly as it came off. The needle nose plyers worked, just a little help to get the pin back through. Thanks all.

Phil100

Cadet

what was your shift shaft height. I have the same model and I wanted to know your height so I can do mine