Replace Steering Wheel and Helm?

jburn25

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hi, posted this as a response to another persons post, but the thread was several years old and I think got ignored. Anyways, I can't get my steering wheel off. Tried everything, gear puller, blunt force, pry bar, heating, lots of penetrating oil, sweet talking, etc.. Now, the threads on the shaft are so torn up that I'm going to have to cut the whole thing off.

Questions is: Can I just replace the threaded shaft or do I have to buy a whole new Teleflex steering helm?

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Replace Steering Wheel and Helm?

helm, i have never had a problem getting one off. i scrunch down put my knees behind the wheel, and with the nut at the end of the shaft to protect the threads, smack the nut with a hammer, has never taken more than 3 wacks.

mthieme

Captain

Excellent technique.
I can only imagine some of the positions you've had to get in have been Kodak moments.:D

bman1bpm

Chief Petty Officer

I'm planning to use tashasdaddy's method to take off my wheel, I'm only about an hour away want to watch and laugh? haha

5150abf

Vice Admiral

You may be able to get a die and refresh those threads as opposed to getting a new helm depending on how bad they are torn up.