Transom Rot

Tim J

Cadet
I have a 1975 Glasply that I have had for a couple of years. I frequently hear of people with older boats having to replace their transom. How can you tell if you have transom rot? Mine seems solid (no delamination, sponginess, or other visual issues), but how can you tell?

a70eliminator

Captain
Re: Transom Rot

You have to bore a hole and see what comes out, water, wood, or mush.
You can then plug the hole with a dowell coated with epoxie, knock it in just below the surface then seal it up flush.
If the transom has a bunch of extra mounting holes from added hardware like swim platforms, trolling motors, and transducers, and you can see rust trails from cheap plated screws that have deteriorated then chances are good theres rot.

slasmith1

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Those old glasply's are some of the best built small frp boats ever built. If it seems solid it is because it probably is there is absolutely no need to go drilling around in there if you have tapped it and everything sounds solid.

capt sam

Master Chief Petty Officer

Before you do anything invasive, push the lower unit of the outboard up and down and watch for flex in the transom, also sounding with a rubber mallet, in addition to obvious cracks or staining.

TheWoodCrafter

Chief Petty Officer

I located and marked with a pencel, all rot in my transom with a steel hammer.
Lightly tap and you can hear a thud or hollow sound where you find rot. You will hear a solid ping where the transom is good.

Never tried a rubber mallet.

capt sam

Master Chief Petty Officer

same idea but it doesn't damage the gelcoat, I should add I use a white rubber mallet.

mthieme

Captain

I use hard plastic mallets.
If I didn't have those, I would use a wood mallet.
The sound difference is significantly more noticeable compared to rubber.