Who else do you allow to drive your boat??

scipper77

Commander
I am really the only operator of my boat. Even if I let someone else drive I am keeping an eye on other boats, depth, waves, etc... Maybe I have some trust issues. The only other person who I have ever really trusted to drive my boat is my best friend who has a similar boat to mine.

Who do you guys and girls let drive your rig?? and do you really let them drive or are you constantly looking over there shoulder as if you were driving anyways??

angus63

Captain
Re: Who else do you allow to drive your boat??

My son and a bikini-clad Danica Patrick (maybe!).

Tyme2fish

Commander

I allow my main fishing partner to operate my boat with my constant awareness of surroundings.

He can't back up the trailer worth a hoot, so I back the trailer while he loads the boat. Conversely,he has trouble starting my boat, so I do the launching and he pulls the trailer to the lot.

He tends to be a little more reckless than I am, so I operate the boat 99% of the time.

QC

Supreme Mariner

I have let my 20 year old take it our for a spin without me on board, but I actually think my 15 YO is a better operator. He is safer. My Nephew is a Merc Tech in Havasu and tests lots of customer boats. My boat is stored there and I have told him he can take it out anytime he wants, but he never has. That's about it.

Fu-Inator

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Only the wife and I right now but my son turns 16 in May. He has taken his boat safety training/test, so once he gets his drivers license I will start letting him drive. Under VERY close supervision.:eek:

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

i will teach anyone who wants to learn, never know in an emergency, you may need another to get you to shore.

Rocky_Road

Lieutenant Commander

I let Toby drive the jet ski...he has a real 'need for speed'!

Never the boats, though...he can't fight the urge to jump a wake....

Attachments

• DSC06629resized.JPG
    DSC06629resized.JPG
    86 KB · Views: 0

idrownworms

Petty Officer 1st Class

i will teach anyone who wants to learn, never know in an emergency, you may need another to get you to shore.

what he said. My 2 and a half year old niece and a 5 year old and a 7 year old nephew like to drive so I let them sit on my lap and steer when the lake isn't crowded.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Son, his son and daughter #3 are all competent pilots. I have no worries when one of them is at the helm.

Bass Man Bruce

Lieutenant

My wife anytime since it's her boat too.
Either son or daughter but they rarely go out with us.
And any of my cadre of fishing buddies, they all have boats and know at least as much as me.

timdan94

Chief Petty Officer

my dad only. I do need to teach the fiancee how to start and drive in case something happens to me

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

I've let some of the grand sons steer the boat while just trolling around in the lake. At this point, nobody has volunteered or interested.

The boat prior to the one I have now, I would let my buds with me being there. Nobody takes my rigs out unless I'm with them. That way, something breaks, I'm there and most likely will not do the blame game that destroys friendships.

When my daughter was 14 and son 10, I would take them and their friends out for some water sports. I always missed out because I was the only one that operated the boat. My daughters one friend at the same age of 14 asked if she could drive the boat. So I taught her while my own daughter just didn't want to. She got pretty good on handling the boat. One day I told her that its all yours and your going to pull me around the lake. Yeah, it was a bit scary at first, but I must had a lot of trust in her, or I needed to cool off :D Her parents gave me all kinds of grief over letting her drive the boat without an adult in the boat. To me, they should have been proud, but them not witnessing the event removes a lot of the thrill. I look back and sure miss those days. Getting that empty nest feeling again.............

cribber

Lieutenant

So far mainly the better half since it is her boat too. But anyone who is competent can take a turn at the helm. I've let my sister, BIL, and niece all take the wheel with no concerns since they're bass boat peeps!!! They know more about the lakes around here than I do.

triumphrick

Lieutenant Commander

I do need to teach the fiancee how to start and drive in case something happens to me

This is the reason I am trying to teach my wife to operate our boat. We make many trips out in the gulf where no land is visible. I have taught her how to follow the gps back in and to be aware of channel markers. I even put the West Marine channel marker guide decal on my boat for her safety, even tho I am very aware of them. Otherwise, no one else has maneuvered our boat.

Navy Jr.

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I've encouraged my wife to take the controls from time to time. She is reluctant. One day it was like "driver training" when I had her practice slow speed maneuvering using nudgies on the throttle, and learning where the pivot point on the boat is. She did really well, but still prefers me behind the wheel.

My middle son (the high school math teacher) and I do a lot of fishing together. Last season I taught him fast and slow speed maneuvering, but he insisted on returning the helm to me when it came to docking. He has gone through the online boating safety course. Slowly but surely.

timdan94

Chief Petty Officer

I want my fiancee to take the required boaters safety course but for what it is for $40 its stupid. they raised it again.

Bart Sr.

Lieutenant Commander

I will allow my son-age 27-and my daughter-25 soon-use of the boat but only because I am confident the training they got from me over the last six years is fully implemented each time out.They each asked for a couple of years when they would be allowed to go without me before I allowed it.

Safety for them and peace of mind for me.

eaglejim

Lieutenant Junior Grade

My wife after we leave the dock,and most my friends and some of their kids,my kids have no interest

mthieme

Captain

My grandson with me next to him.
Anyone I'm crabbing with - this involves merely idling back and forth in a straight line.
My best friend who also grew up on the water and has as much experience as I do.
Although the oppurtunity has never arisen, there are other nighbors and friends I would allow. They all have a lifetime of experience boating and living on the water.

OldePharte

Chief Petty Officer

Only my son. My wife and daughter don't want too.

My son doesn't have the confidence to put it in the slip under power, so he docks along side and then he and his wife muscle it in by rope.

No guests even sit it, without one of us being at the house.