Stuck Driveshaft 9.5 evinrude

Mandrake35

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hi guys, when I removed the lower end from my '65 sportwin 9.5 the driveshaft stayed up in the powerhead. I figure if it came apart that way I should be able to reassemble it without removing it from the power head. Sure in a perfect world it would get slide hammered out greased etc. but this is a waterfowling motor that will only see 10-20 hrs a year at most. So am I missing a crucial reinstalling step that's going to bite me, or is this feasible? I've looked at the diagrams and pics I took, and can't see too many snags....just managing to skewer the shift rod with the hinge pin I thought might be a chore...... thoughts? thanks

Rick.

Captain
Re: Stuck Driveshaft 9.5 evinrude

There is an o ring at the top of the shaft that is to prevent water from rusting the drive shaft to the power head. If it is stuck it may well mean removing the power head to access it. For what it's worth I would try to wiggle it free and if you don't get it apart your probably on the right track until one day for some reason you must do it. It will be tricky making sure the impeller pin is in the right place. Best of luck, Rick.

iwombat

Captain

If your driveshaft came all the way out, there's no longer a retaining key in your waterpump. You need to remove the driveshaft, reassemble into the lower end, and install a new waterpump.

Mandrake35

Petty Officer 3rd Class

there is still a "key" or roll pin to drive the waterpump. The washers et al on the top of the waterpump seem to be able to fit over it, so I thought I could do that....line up the key with the new impeller and slide the whole LU back together.

Mandrake35

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Has anyone tried this before ? I just would really like to start sewing this thing back up. If I do end up having to pull the driveshaft, is there a way without removing the powerhead or welding? I don't weld. thanks for any input, P

Rick.

Captain

I certainly haven't but if you get it to work please let us know. Rick.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

i really don't see it happening, you also need to install a new seal between the driveshaft and lower unit. get the drive shaft out of the power head, when reinstalling, use the new O ring, and grease the splines.

Woodstock60

Petty Officer 1st Class

Same thing happened to me on a 1972 evinrude 25 hp. I bought the motor in good running condition, but it was a short shaft and I needed a long. It came with a junk 25 hp johnson that was a long shaft so all I had to do was switch over, easy right? Wrong, the drive shaft was frozen inside the crank, so when I finally removed the lower unit the key in the shaft ruined the top plate on the water pump. I tried for two weeks to get the shaft out. I tried everthing from torches to sledge hammers because you cannot install the driveshaft into the water pump unless it is out of the crank, besides by this time i destroyed the sort shaft. eventually I took out the crank shaft from the junk johnson and swapped it out with the frozen one. luckily all the bearings were in mint condition so all I had to replace were the seals. My point is if the driveshaft won't come out you may be up against the same thing. I was told by a local mechanic sometimes the spline on the two shafts twist together and they will never seperate, even if they do the remaining spline probably are junk. good luck. Ronnie

Mandrake35

Petty Officer 3rd Class

So....an update. I decided against removing the driveshaft, and had very little difficulty reassembling everything. Now, I'm sure I'll get blasted for not removing and lubing the driveshaft, but this was a free motor....that will see limited use, and frankly the last thing I wanted to do was remove the powerhead et al. The motor now has new seals Everywhere, new points and condensers, new impeller, and spark plugs. I'm pretty happy with the state of things. My only 'trick' to reassembly was a dowel to center the impeller and keeping a close eye on the position of the keyway relative to the driveshaft. A very slight turn of the flywheel, and everything squeezed together beautifully. Some finishing of the Camo paint scheme is in order and then its out in the water. Thanks for the advice guys.

capitan

Cadet

mandrake35, I have a similar problem, I thought about reassembling mine but how do you manage to get to do up the water pump bolts as they seem to be obstructed by the leg?

Woodstock60

Petty Officer 1st Class

I don't understand, the top of the impellar housing has four screws that have to be socked down- how will the water continue to be pumped upwards without it being sealed?

Mandrake35

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Hey Qmire, The top of my water pump housing fits over the key in the driveshaft. There is a washer and grommet that stayed up against the powerhead. By no means am I suggesting my way is right, but they act to help seal the top of the water pump. My lower end came all the way off without the driveshaft. I'm sure the top of the impeller housing should be a tighter fit, but the seals sit a little higher than the smallest opening on that part anyway. I'll let you know if it works out.