A little more prop help please

Thump05

Cadet
I am having trouble finding a 13 1/4 X 19 prop, which is what I was told by my local boat guy to put on this motor. I am just looking for something low cost right now to get this boat on the water and decide if I want to spend the time and money on restoring it. It is a 1975 Ranger bass boat, tournament hull, 18 ft. with a 1984 Evinrude 140. I am finding a lot or 13 1/4 X 17 around. Would that work just to get it on the water for now? Thanks.

James

Bondo

Staff member
Re: A little more prop help please

Ayuh,...

Forget about the Diameter,+ buy the Pitch you want, that fits your motor...

Thump05

Cadet

In the parts book for this motor it has a bunch of props listed. They go from a 12 up to a 14, and sizes in between. Does that mean that any of those diameter props will fit it?

180shabah

Rear Admiral

What is the distance from the centerline of the propshaft the the antiventiliation plate? That will determine the max diameter prop you can run. If you need a 19" prop then get a 19" prop. As long the diameter is small enough that the blades don't hit the AV plate then don't worry about it. Diameter is a product of overall propeller design, not a primary element.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

The common diameter for your 4 1/4" gearcase is 13 to 14". The most common being 13 1/4" diameter for a 3 blade.

Have you looked at the 13 1/4 x 19 on Ebay? Looks like it's hubbed for a OMC V4.

Tacklewasher

Lieutenant Commander

Where are you located?

(I have a 13 something X 19 OMC Stainless that I'm not using). Came off a 1981 115hp.

Thump05

Cadet

DHadly, I have been looking on ebay and just havent found one in the price range I am looking for. I just really want something used and cheap until I can determine whether or not to spend the time and money to fix this boat up.

Tacklewasher: I am in Texas and I bet you probably want more for that prop than I want to spend right now with it being a SS prop.

daman4469

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I wouldn't worry too much about pitch....On that big of a motor, you are going to have plenty of push. First try to find a prop diameter that fits your motor. Pitch is kind of like gearing on a bike; as long as you dont go extreme, it wont matter as much as you think.

180shabah

Rear Admiral

daman is right-on

Pitch is like gearing, while diameter is like tire width.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

I wouldn't worry too much about pitch....On that big of a motor, you are going to have plenty of push. First try to find a prop diameter that fits your motor. Pitch is kind of like gearing on a bike; as long as you dont go extreme, it wont matter as much as you think.

Really?? Wow....so as long as it fits on the shaft and doesn't hit the AV plate any pitch will work as good as another?

180shabah

Rear Admiral

WOW, I guess my coffee hasn't kicked in yet cause I "read" don't worry about about diameter, but that ain't what it says.

So lets recap - pitch is important. To low and you will over-rev, too high and you will lug the engine.

Diameter - not of primary concern unless it hits the drive.

Tacklewasher

Lieutenant Commander

Tacklewasher: I am in Texas and I bet you probably want more for that prop than I want to spend right now with it being a SS prop.

Ahh. I don't want that much for it but shipping to Texas from here would be brutal.

I think it's going on Craigslist.

As an aside, I'm pushing an 18' Starcraft (aluminum) with an 1980 115 Evin. I've gone to a 15p prop to get my RPM's in the right range (about 5800 rpm) where I was barely seeing 5000 with a 19p. I'm also seeing almost 40mph with the 15p, as I seem to have my boat dialed in real well. If you can get a cheap used 17p, you may not be far off.

Do you have a working tach on the boat? You just want to be under 6000 rpm at WOT with the boat loaded normally.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

Tackle, is that the 18 Super Sport Starcraft? What altitude are you at?

Tacklewasher

Lieutenant Commander

Tackle, is that the 18 Super Sport Starcraft? What altitude are you at?

Yeah. I think so. Open bow and stuff.

I'm at 1,000 ft or so.

I worked damn hard to get it to these numbers. Running a Stiletto with the engine mounted as high as possible. and the engine running real well.

If I toss the numbers into a slip calculator, I get something stupid like 3% slip. My only issue is I really can't break 40 mph. I can do 39.5 mph (per GPS) pretty consistently but just seem unable to break 40. Of course I'm out there with another guy, 2 electric downriggers, a 10hp Honda 4 stroke (BF100) and fishing gear when I try. I should unload everything and try it but it's more important for me to fish than break 40.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

Yeah, that's pretty good slip number, especially for the load and distribution (that extra motor on the transom doesn't help). We used to be a Startcraft dealer back about that time. I really liked that series of boats. Those and the Mariner series (center console model). The cc's were pretty light, nothing to them. Lots of fun.

Tacklewasher

Lieutenant Commander

Yeah, that's pretty good slip number, especially for the load and distribution (that extra motor on the transom doesn't help). We used to be a Startcraft dealer back about that time. I really liked that series of boats. Those and the Mariner series (center console model). The cc's were pretty light, nothing to them. Lots of fun.

Actually, I'm sure I could break 40 if I got rid of the 70 extra pounds in the drivers seat ;)

180shabah

Rear Admiral

70lbs will definately make a difference in a small boat.

Normal load on my boat yields 48 mph.
No passengers and only 1/4 tank of fuel pushes just over 51mph.(slightly over-revving though)

daman4469

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Really?? Wow....so as long as it fits on the shaft and doesn't hit the AV plate any pitch will work as good as another?

No. Of course some pitches work better than others. I never said pitch doesn't matter. I said it doesn't matter as much as people think. I've been there; I have several different pitches for my outboard 88 and I can tell virtually no difference between them. Just don't want a newbie to get caught up in that stuff too soon.