Mercury 1982 70hp Blue Band

dblankley

Recruit
When removing the powerhead (first time )the gear selector rod which is attached to the engine via a roll pin also came out of the lower unit. The propellor shaft has been rotated while the power head is of and I am wondering how I can now synchronize the selector unit with the gearbox when I rmount the powerhead so that the gear selector is in the correct position. Is there a simple way to line the selector rod/shifter and gearbox up or have I unleashed a major problem. I dont have a manual.

iang

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Mercury 1982 70hp Blue Band

No problem at all,simplest fix is to remove the lower unit before refitting the powerhead,install the shift rod and connect the cables and select the neutral position at the control box.get the lower unit in neutral by turning the shift shaft with a pair of pliers and simply refit the lower unit.The shift shaft you have accidently removed only goes as far as the joint between the lower unit and mid section.

dblankley

Recruit

When I bought the boat when you put the gear selector forward the prop ran in reverse and when you put it in reverse it whent forward. The guy had taken the power head of to recondition it and he thought that when he remounted it he somehow reversed the selector rod. I am ufaniliar with the internal workings of the lower unit and dont understand how that can happen. What you have explained seems simpe enough but how do I avaid repeating the original problem. thanks for the advice. d

iang

Seaman Apprentice

You cannot reverse it,what you were getting was the racheting,in forward you can only turn the prop backwards,that is normal and there was never a problem.