Converting to Oil Injection

jfkkesler

Seaman
has anyone had any luck converting a force 125 2 stroke to having oil injection? I am installing a new gas tank, and would love to run my 4 stroke kicker and 2 stroke main off of the same tank to save some deck space. Im not sure of the year, but I would estimate it in the mid to late 80's. It runs great, I just would rather not have to mix, and want to get double duty out of my gas tank. Thanks!

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Re: Converting to Oil Injection

I have thought about it quite a bit, but never got a "Round Tuit."

Realistically speaking, it should not be too difficult unless you want VRO--that would pose more problems. But if you just wanted to inject 50-1 ratio, a second fuel pump with a metering needle valve should be all that is necessary. From what I have seen, retrofitting another brand VRO unit would be difficult. Doesn't mean it can't be done. You can do anything you want if you throw enough time and money at it.

AND, since the fuel pump does deliver more pressure at higher speeds, there would be a small amount of variability in delivery from low to high, which would help with longer plug life at idle.

Oil could be injected into the carb castings or the manifolds, but not the fuel line since both oil and gas would be at approximately the same pressure.

Unfortunately, life is NEVER that simple. However you do it, if oil is not mixed with the gasoline prior to entering the carbs, you run the real risk of uneven distribution to all cylinders--need I say more? Remember: when oil is mixed with gasoline normally, when the gasoline is vaporised in the carb, the oil will form a fine mist of non-vaporized particles. This is what gives the excellent lubrication of all internal engine parts. That is why all the VRO systems I have seen, mix the oil with the fuel before sending it to the carbs.

Only thing: If you do try it, be very cautious and run 50-1 in the gas tank until you prove the system functions absolutely.

jfkkesler

Seaman
Re: Converting to Oil Injection

Being a relative newcomer to engine topics, would you mind explaining to me what VRO is? I think I gathered that you are saying I can't join the fuel and oil together before the carbs, that it would have to be either in the carbs, or just after them, am I correct?