where to find alum for building side consoles

BIGcarpy50

Petty Officer 1st Class
I recently got a 16 foot aluminum 1983 bluefin. It was built with the consoles made out of wood wrapped in viynl. as you can guess they are rotted and buldging. The wood is so rotten i could probably tap them and they would fall over. I would like to rebuild them like i have seen in other alum open bow boats, using aluminim sheet bent at a 90 degree angle with wood on the face. I have no idea where to find the alum sheet, and what size to use.

TheWoodCrafter

Chief Petty Officer
Re: where to find alum for building side consoles

A good sheet metal shop, a little more than just an air conditioning sheet metal shop, should be able to help you out.

Silver Heels

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I too was in the market for a source of aluminum. Fortunately, there is a builder of aluminum yachts nearby that lets me dig through their dumpster and buy pieces at 75 cents a pound. If you aren't lucky enough to have such a company nearby, look in the yellow pages for metal suppliers. There is one near me called S.I. Metals that sells every kind of metal, in every dimension possible to mostly companies, but they are happy to sell to individuals as well. Of course, you won't pay scrap prices if you go this route. There are plenty of sources around, you just have to do a little research to find the ones close to your home.

fishrdan

Admiral

buy pieces at 75 cents a pound.

I've done the same at a local sheet metal shop. First time I went in and asked how much a few small pieces I needed were,,, they said $.50/#... I went back to the scrap pile and told the guy to tell me when I was up to $20, still using it several years later.

BIGcarpy50

Petty Officer 1st Class

what thickness should i use....... .22 guage

beerfilter

Petty Officer 1st Class

Doesn't hurt to check Craigslist , either .
I just picked up 4 sheets of .080 aluminum , 4' x 12' , for $200 .
New they would set you back that much for a single sheet !

If I had a TIG I would just build my OWN boat , lol ...

Also , check your local recyclers . many will sell at scrap prices , and that is way cheaper than new .
They may even have a scrap hull or 3 with a usable console allready in it .