shift linkage swap..200hp johnson

mrimike

Seaman
anyone ever done a quick swap.... I purchased a used lower unit and after dropping the lower unit on my engine i noticed the shift linkage has a slight zig zag near the top and the other used lower unit does not..
Do i need to disassemble that little cover or can i just unscrew it and screw it into the used lower unit. Theres no seals or orings i need to worry about not being in place..etc.
thanks.
200hp 1998 johnson

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: shift linkage swap..200hp johnson

what did the the new lower come off of?

mrimike

Seaman

not sure.. the guy said it was a 2000 omc johnson 250hp but he was not certain of the year either
they look identical.. but the used one is blueish and mine is charcoal.
everything is identical but the shift rod curve..
even the shafts are the same

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

Unscrew them and swap them. Just be sure to set the height. The only ones that don't unscrew are the older ones with a little barrel on top. Any that are curved will unscrew.

splitshot

Petty Officer 1st Class

be sure to count the turns and put the shift rod in with the same turns..or you could measure lengths...this way it goes in and out of gear good and not too far one way or another :)

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

I wouldn't worry about counting the turns because either one or both could be off now. Just set the height as per the OE manual for the motor (midsection) you have.

splitshot

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thats a good point the used one he got could be off...Set the height as Dhadley mentioned :redface: