what to do with bare fiberglass

Jons69chevy

Cadet
Hello all. I have a charger bass boat and I am just finishing the repair of the bottom of the hull, mostly along the keel. I had to sand alot of someone elses repair off so I have some bare fiberglass to deal with. I have also went ahead and fixed a few other gouges in the bottom of the hull. My question is, what should I put on the hull at this point? I want to go ahead with covering the whole bottom side of the hull but I am not sure which direction to go. I have read that some have used automotive paint while others roll on gel coat or even spray on the gel coat. I need the boat to last a few years until I can afford something better but at the same time dont want to over spend on the boat. What is your suggestions? Thanks, Jon

Mark42

Fleet Admiral
Re: what to do with bare fiberglass

If you trailer the boat and it doesn't sit in the water for days at a time, any polyurethane paint should work, even Rustolium marine paint. If its going to sit in the water for days, then special paint is needed because the water will cause the paint to blister. Gel-coat will work. If you are not too picky about the finish, just roll it on.

Jons69chevy

Cadet

I do trailer the boat but once in a while it might sit in the water overnight. If it is just once in a while do you think that I will be ok? I do alot of automotive spraying, do you think that I can just use a good singe stage ppg paint or even a base coat/clear coat?

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,...

About Any of the 2-pt. automotive urethanes will do Just Fine...