Ice crystals in fuel line or carb?

tboydva

Petty Officer 2nd Class
OK, I tried searching, but I can't seem to find anything in this forum that sounds like the problem I had the other day (can't seem to use AND for searching multiple words? Maybe I need a tutorial on this forum software). I tried searching google too. I can't believe I'm the only one whose had this problem???

Anyway, I took some colleagues out to sample some water and sediments in the Potomac River (near Wash, DC). Of course, they were gong to analyze over the weekend which meant we went on a Friday. It was biting cold (about 24 degrees with high winds). I was thinking we should bail, but my motor started right up (I run it quite a bit during the winter) and we motored on to our sampling locale. I was planning on doing a little fishing too, but as we idled around looking for where we were going to sample, my outboard stalled. I thought it was out of fuel (1st tank was a little low), so I switched out. Still couldn't get it to start. Seemed like it was getting plenty of fuel??? Finally, after getting blown towards shore, I fired up my kicker and we did our work - then took the 1.5 hour journey back to the dock with only 10HP pushing us along! Lots of spray - which turned into lots of ice!!! My buddy who's from the Boston area kept saying that it was probably some ice in the fuel line. I treat my fuel with stabilizer and I've never had any problems with ice (that I'm aware of). I've been out in colder weather on occasion (but I generally avoid windy conditions).

After cleaning up and charging the battery the next day (and letting my boat sit in the sun), I went to rinse out the motor and she started right up without issue... So, my question is, can a bit of water in the fuel clog the carb(s) - my sense is that they could. Other than fuel stabilizer, is there a way to ensure there's no icing? Is there a thread or discussion on ice crystals in fuel? Any help or pointer to a discussion on this would be appreciated. Thanks.

Tom

Mas

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Ice crystals in fuel line or carb?

Sounds like you're getting condensation in your tank that's freezing...if in fact they're ice crystals. Are you closing the vents when not in use and keeping the tank topped off?

MAS

woodducker

Seaman

try some seafoam in the tank and i agree with closing the vent. down here in georgia we dont get much ice but sounds likeicing would be a problem if any water in the lines.

Rick.

Captain

Greetings from the North. During the winter we regularly put gas line antifreeze in our vehicle gas tanks with every fill up. The water doesn't come from our gas but from condensation in the tank. Gas line antifreeze is methalhydrate which should be available from most hardware stores. I can't honestly tell you if it melts the water or makes it evaporate but it does work. I'm not sure what the right amount is but you could probably find out on the web. Best of luck. Rick.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

i would suggest a fuel/ water separating filter, between the tank and the primer bulb.

also check you tanks for water, it settles to the bottom of the tank, then could freeze blocking the pick up filter.

tboydva

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for the responses guys! I always close my tank vents after coming in from the water (I think I really always do - at least I don't remember ever forgetting this.... The plug, yes - you know, the important stuff). I have a separate line for my kicker (different make), so I suppose it could still be the line, but the kicker ran for nearly 2 hours without issue. That's why I thought it might be at the carb level. I thought the fuel stabilizer had a gas line antifreeze in it, but perhaps it doesn't treat water in fuel (I thought that was part of the stabilization). I have two gas tanks which I alternate as they get used. I think I'm going to have to get some dry gas along with stabilizer and as tashasdaddy suggests, maybe go with a separator... I've heard that water can make carbs not function and I would imagine some ice would really do it. I can't really find anything on that anywhere, so I suppose the tank or line must have been the issue. Come on warm weather!

Thanks again.

TJB

Lone Duck

Master Chief Petty Officer

When running a trap line at 40 below we put a couple ounces of isoprophynol alcohol in the tank of our snowmobiles it does not rot the diaphragms like metholhydrate will. I wonder if it would work as well in a outboard system ?

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

TBJ - Do you use e10 gasoline in the boat motor? Normally the alcohol in e10 would absorb the water like gas line antifreeze Rick uses or the isoproply alcohol that Lone Duck uses. If you use e10, you might siphon those tanks from the bottom (warm day) and examine the fuel in a clear container. Make sure you pour off all the water and or alcohol/water mix. It sounds like you premix the gas and oil, so you should see the non-colored water and water-alcohol mix.

Lone Duck

Master Chief Petty Officer

TBJ - Do you use e10 gasoline in the boat motor? Normally the alcohol in e10 would absorb the water like gas line antifreeze Rick uses or the isoproply alcohol that Lone Duck uses. If you use e10, you might siphon those tanks from the bottom (warm day) and examine the fuel in a clear container. Make sure you pour off all the water and or alcohol/water mix. It sounds like you premix the gas and oil, so you should see the non-colored water and water-alcohol mix.
Ahha! so thats how you spell isoproply.

Titanium48

Petty Officer 1st Class

Actually it's isopropyl alcohol or isopropanol (2 names for the same thing). "Methyl hydrate" is better known as methanol or methyl alcohol (now we've got 3 names for the same thing. Fortunately it's different from the first thing.) Ethanol (aka ethyl alcohol) will of course work as well.

tboydva

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Talked to a colleague today who is very knowledgeable (about everything). He's runs a marine facility and has numerous boats... He enlightened me a bit. Evidently, the ethanol in gasoline makes for a very difficult time getting rid of water in fuel. He says that fuel/water separators don't trap water effectively if there's ethanol in the gas and he said he's had issues with dry gas and other fuel stabilizers. He said some marinas carried ethanol-free gas, but now it's very hard to find... So, looks like we may be stuck with fuel issues in cold weather. It'll change my boating norms. I'm lucky I made it back on the kicker!!

Tom