Carbs Rebuilt-Need Adjustment Advice

jayhawkokie

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I have the carburetors on my 1987 Merc 90HP rebuilt and installed back on the engine. The adjusting throttle links on the top and bottom carbs were boroken so I've replaced them, now comes the fun part.

I've read the Seloc manual on the syncronizing section several times and it leaves me a bit confused. I know I need to make sure the throttle valves are fully closed and then tighten down the screws on the adjusting links.

There are 3 adjusting screws on the linkage, one for full throttle stop, one for idle stop and I can't figure out what the third one in the middle does.

Can someone who is familiar with this engine lay the procedure for adjusting the trottle linkage in terms a newbie can understand. I'm sure I can make the other adjustments on the carbs after the linkage is set up properly. I would like to give a stab at it before taking the boat to the local mechanic, I'm afraid he might have it for several weeks before looking at it.

Thank you for your help

Jayhawkokie
Grandlake O the Cherokees

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Re: Carbs Rebuilt-Need Adjustment Advice

I haven't got the procedure in front of me at the moment, but the 3rd screw you're talking about is the maximum spark advance screw. These have nothing to do with the carb linkages. Get them right first them start on the others. The first thing I would do is burn solec and buy a merc manual.

Chris.........

jayhawkokie

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I'm thinking you're right about the Seloc manual, and I got it off this web site.

It just doesn't make sense some times, it talks about several different engines in the same paragraps and you aren't sure if it involves your engine.

achris

More fish than mountain goat

If you can wait a week, I'll be home and can send you the procedures from the merc manual, specific to your engine.... complete with pictures :D

jayhawkokie

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I haven't received all my parts yet so I can wait a week.

Thanks for the help.

Jayhawkokie