Towing capacity

Ryno_69

Recruit
Hi all,

I was needing some advice on towing capacity, I just purchased a 98 Larson LXI 226. The boat weighs about 2,975 empty, so I am guessing full of gas and the weight of trailer, I will be pulling about 4,000 - 4,500 lbs. I was looking at a Trailer Blazer or Explorer they pull about 5,100 to 5,300 with the V6 engine. Would this be enough pulling capaicty for this boat or do I need something larger, thanks for the advice.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Towing capacity

larger, especially if hilly country. i tow that with a 5.7 surburban, and it is no speed demon, thats awhile to build up speed. but once there is a great tow vehicle.

Bondo

Staff member

so I am guessing full of gas and the weight of trailer, I will be pulling about 4,000 - 4,500 lbs.

Ayuh,.... I'm guessing that'll be the Low side of the weight possibility...

Boats get heavier as we use them,+ stock up with PFDs, Suntan oils,+ All the other Stuff that gets left on-board for the next trip...

Titanium48

Petty Officer 1st Class

Are you looking for a dedicated tow vehicle that won't get used much otherwise or a daily/weekly driver? For a dedicated tow vehicle go with something bigger - it won't use that much more gas while towing and you will have an extra margin of safety.

If you need to drive it regularly the 6 cylinder mid-size SUV does make some sense. I wouldn't want to drive a gas guzzling behemoth to work or to the mall either. You will be pushing the tow rating though, so good cooling, top-quality lubricants and meticulous maintenance are in order. That applies to trailer brakes as well - the smaller your tow vehicle the more important they are. A weight distributing hitch would also be something to consider.

As for power, to pull a combined weight of 10000 lb up an 8% grade at 65 MPH you need 140 hp more than you need to go the same speed on level ground (probably about 30-40 hp). The 210 hp Ford V6 should be able to deliver (although just barely after accounting for driveline losses), assuming you have the gearing to keep it over 4500 RPM and under the redline (~5500 RPM?). The 24 valve Chevy 6-banger has a broader torque curve (similar at low RPM, better at high RPM) and a higher redline RPM so it might be a better choice. There also doesn't seem to be a fuel economy penalty for going with the 4.6L (Ford) or 5.3L (GM) V8, so that might be something else to consider.

Tabes117

Petty Officer 2nd Class

After market transmission cooler. I put one on a 1997 blazer I used to own. It cost me $135 installed. I never had a problem.