Can't seem to get in reverse in the water..

jparrish

Recruit
I bought a boat that ran well.. but was still a project boat.. when I had the guy run it.. it shifted incredible.. as on a windy day he was able to shift forward/reverse around the dock to manage the wind..

Since I purchased it I replaced the control box.. and cables.. I stuck with OMC cables.. and got a compatible control box.. with a cable nest for my cables.. it shifts perfectly into forward. No slipping.. no clicking.. no grinding.. etc.. just perfectly silent into gear..

Trying to shift into reverse.. if I do it running it on the hose.. not in the water.. it shifts into reverse fine.. my dad tested shifting into reverse.. shutting off the motor.. then turned the prop by hand and it actually turned the motor over.. so.. it seemed it was in gear ok..

Again today.. in the water.. trying to shift into to reverse.. it just slips.. clicking.. I adjusted the cable.. to shift the bias as much as I could towards reverse.. in fact.. the linkage on the shifter.. can't go much further than what it goes without the nut securing the cable hitting the housing.

I don't know what to do.. where to look.. why does it shift so well running on the hose.. and in the water it can't get in gear? I'm VERY concerned about damaging it while trying to figure this problem out.. please help.

samo_ott

Vice Admiral
Re: Can't seem to get in reverse in the water..

Sure sounds like cable adjustment. What year/model is the engine?

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

there is no load on the prop, on the hose. disconnect cable at the motor and shift it manually. had the lower unit been off. before this happened/

5150abf

Vice Admiral

Changed my control box last year and it can be a real PITA to get the cables adjusted right.

If it will go into reverse in your driveway you are really close and a couple turns on the trunion(knurled knob) on the cable should get you right.

Put it in reverse and give the knob a couple turn in the right direction and you should be good and this is easy to do on the water.

As a note, when you shift it should be a quick decisive motion, don't "ease" it into gear, that is really hard on the lower.

Good luck.

jparrish

Recruit

Well I don't want to go through a long story but we pulled the powerhead off .. before realizing the other foot with power trim/tilt was just not gonna work..and at some point my dad broke the shifter shaft... and created another part.. he is suspecting he has messed that up and it is too tall when it comes up for reverse.. I haven't watched.. but it is odd to me it works perfectly on the hose and not at all out in the water.