boat seat clamps not working

ljcatman

Petty Officer 3rd Class
i got this seat clamps and want to put them on my boat. i had two that i all ready put on and they hold good but the third one won't stay on it keeps sliding off what is a better way to put this on. i want to take them off when i clean the boat. is there some way i can mount a base to the boat but still take the seat off. heres some pictures .can someone show me a picture of one being put on will drill holes if the seat won't pull out

HPIM0400.jpg

HPIM0401.jpg

HPIM0402.jpg

a70eliminator

Captain
Re: boat seat clamps not working

Maybe try laying a rubber bathmat over the bench before clamping seat to give it a little less sliding around effect.

Or you could try screwing 4 little blocks just above the clamps so they can't slide up off.

a70eliminator

Captain

what do you mean by blocks

well let me try again
It's like once your clamped all in place, take a piece of wood fiberglass plastic whatever make it about 12" long just so it fits inside the clamps, then screw it down. wait a minute I'm going to try drawing a picture.
Ok in the picture the shaded black would be the block about 12"x 1" x 1/2'
The blocks would remain affixed to the bench and your clamps will go over them once clamped down it now can't slip up off.

Attachments

• untitled.jpg
    untitled.jpg
    2.2 KB · Views: 1

ljcatman

Petty Officer 3rd Class

your attachment link does not work

5150abf

Vice Admiral

Worked for me and that looks like a good fix, can't possibly slip over that and when the seats aren't in the boat you wouldn't notice it.

So what he said.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

mount a block of wood side of the existing seat, see red marking under seat. those brackets imho, are horrible to work with. click on picture to enlarge.

Attachments

• HPIM0402.jpg
    HPIM0402.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 5

Nandy

Commander

Those brackets got me a trip in the water at one time. I could never got them to "stick"... I hope you have better luck than me.

reelfishin

Captain

I gave up on a set of those clamps too, I went the route of making plywood tops for the benches and attached my seat swivels to the plywood, and riveted the plywood down after several good coats of clear epoxy.
Even if you get those clamps to hold, they will eventually rust up and no longer be removable. Mine sagged so bad I had to add a spacer between the swivel and the clamp so the seat wouldn't hit the clamp with my weight on it.

Pony

Rear Admiral

I have some seat clamps that are made out of sheet metal that is wrapped around the bench seat. Under the bench itself are two threaded metal rods. One end of the rod had a lock nut, the other has a wing nut. As you tighten the wing nut, the metal band is "squeezed" together at the bottom.....which keeps the seat from moving (but is still completely removeable). There is a metal plate welded to the metal band that the seat swivel mounts to.

Here is the best picture I cound find. In this case I have a pedastal mounted to the swivel, but as you can see in the second picture, my other seats are mounted directly to it.

picture006rz4.jpg

picture014ys8.jpg