50 hp yamaha - carb issue ???

m r ducks

Recruit
newbie here, any opinions appreciated.

I have an 04 50 hp yamaha 2 stroke that has been running great until the last 6-8 trips. I'll try to describe but I'm not real mechanically inclined so please bear with me.

-Motor starts normally and takes about 20-30 seconds to idle down -
-I then shift it into forward and throttle up fairly quickly but nothing like a bass fisherman taking off.
-So far so good -- motor runs fine as long as I want to run it BUT once it is good and warmed up and I stop - getting it to throttle back up can be problematic - especially under any kind of load - such as driving it back onto the trailer. Not always - just sometimes. The longer I run the motor - 15-20 minutes normally about 3/4 throttle the more likely it is to act up. Short trips don't seem to affect it as much.

It sounds like it is choking out, and simply sputters and putts - sometimes killing the motor all-together - maybe like the fuel line is sucking air or even water in the gas. It has always throttled back up eventually getting me back to the ramp - but something is not right.

I've changed gas and put on new a fuel line. I just had it in my local shop and they changed plugs (old ones looked good), changed oil in foot, and replaced impeller, adjusted the carb and the idle setting. I can take it back to them as I feel they have always treated me fairly but I don't know if I am describing the problem accurately enough for them to diagnose problem.

Any ideas ??? :confused:

BaileysBoat

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: 50 hp yamaha - carb issue ???

What you are describing sounds more like a lean condition?

The idle is ok, but the engine won't put out full RPM under load?

Is the primer bulb collapsing?

deejaycee_2000

Captain

make sure the choke closes all the way when you push it back in after starting ......

Dunaruna

Admiral

Does it have a choke? What model is it?

m r ducks

Recruit

choke = lever at the shift control ?

- if so it, is down all the way physically -

I have not checked to ensure it is fully closing the choke on the motor - I will check for that tomorrow - I am not sure what I am looking for but I am presuming I should be able to see the actual choke on the motor moving when I operate the lever and will try to follow the process from there.

As far as the model - all I know is that it is a 50 hp 2 stroke 2004 Yamaha

- responses sincerely appreciated !!!

Dunaruna

Admiral

That lever is for fast idle, not choke.

deejaycee_2000

Captain

do you have the tiller handle model or the remote with steering wheel?

pmbarto

Recruit

Did you ever figure out what your issue was? I have a very similar problem.

Thanks for any help~~!!

sigma

Seaman

A coil going bad can be problematic after it warms up.

Kamdyn

Petty Officer 2nd Class

When you take off are you losing power shortly after? You sound to me like you dont have a fuel starvation problem. I had the same problem and what I did to fix this is by using a hotter plug to keep the motor warm and I had power all the time. I dont know if your in Canada but the water here its dropping in temp, So your engine is not warming up as you think it is. Hope this helps

Doh

Petty Officer 2nd Class

make sure the choke closes all the way when you push it back in after starting ......

My Pro 50, didn't have chokes, it had Yamaha's auto prime system.

But it also had the Famous Yamaha red needle and seat sealant problem, plugging the main jet.