vortec - mercruiser?

mark_fitzy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have just purchased a second hand regal valanti v6 mercruiser,(my first boat) I was told that its a mercruiser but when I looked at the engine it says VORTEC V6. Can anyone explain what the difference is? IS it a model of mercruiser or is it a completly different brand

Bondo

Staff member
Re: vortec - mercruiser?

IS it a model of mercruiser or is it a completly different brand

Nope,... That's just what Chevy was putting on the valve covers at that time....

What year is it,..??

mark_fitzy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have no Idea what year the motor is as it is a re built motor from about 2 years ago, but the boat itself is a 1995

TilliamWe

Banned

Mark, first thing you need to know about marine I/O engines... Mercruiser and Volvo Penta do not make the motors, GM does. And has for a long time. And before that, Ford made them. (I know there are some older Volvos out there that have Volvo engines, and Mercruiser did actually make the 470/3.7 but that has all been at least 20 years ago.)
try www.gmpowertrain.com and click on the marine engines tab. You can see that GM still makes the 4.3 for the marine companies, even though they no longer use it in a car/truck.

The 4.3 you have is just a marinized version of a 4.3 that could be had in S-10 pickups and Chevy Blazers (among other GM products).

"Vortec" is an indication of a type of cylinder head it had, and is a name that GM coined (but you knew that).

mark_fitzy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

So if we say we have a mercruiser, what do we have? I guess my question is what is mercruiser? I am very new to boating(1 week) from Down Under and I am confused, people say I have a mercruiser, But I have a chrysler engine ...V6.. So do I have a mercruiser:redface:

TilliamWe

Banned

Presently, Mercruiser manufactures sterndrives. So does Volvo Penta. They (and Crusader, Indmar, etc) get their engines from GM.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Pictures my man, PICTURES.
If you can't tell by looking at it, we can't tell you much by reading your discription.
If it is still the original engine, look for a Model/Serial number tag just above the starter and riveted to the block.
Post the numbers you find and we can tell you what you have.

MercV8SNLocation.png

mark_fitzy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Sorry Don
I dont have the pictures as the boat is still at the mechanics getting the Engine coupler fitted, Im just trying to learn as much as I can. I have been told the engine is a rebuilt motor from two years ago and they tell me its a chevy v6 engine mercruiser.

But what is a mercruiser? The Engine? The Leg? if mercruiser dont make the engine what is a mercruiser?:redface:

Don S

Mercuriser is the one that builds the drives and accessories to go on a GM purchased engine. Older engines with carbs were just long blocks with intake manifolds. Distributors, carbs, fuel systems, exhaust, PS, couplers, flwheel covers, motor mounts etc. etc. are all Mercruiser.

You obviously have seen your engine before, from the pics below, which type valve cover do you have?

Attachments

• Vortec.jpg
    Vortec.jpg
    16.6 KB · Views: 2
  • non Vortec.jpg
    non Vortec.jpg
    17.5 KB · Views: 0

mark_fitzy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks Don(Your Da Man)
You have answered my question,and yes it is a vortec

Don S

Ok, now that we know you still have the same basic type engine that came in a 95 model boat, go up to the Adults Only sticky at the top of this forum and look at the service manual link. You can download the manual for your engine, should be manual #18.
There is also a manual there for your outcrive, but since I have no idea what outdrive you have, I can't tell you which one you need.

mark_fitzy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks Don'

I know that I have a mercruiser outdrive, So I assuming its the same one that came with the boat

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Tilliam -- you should know that the 4.3 GM V6 is still very much alive and well in the Chevrolet truck line -- specifically the WT (work truck model).

TilliamWe

Banned

Tilliam -- you should know that the 4.3 GM V6 is still very much alive and well in the Chevrolet truck line -- specifically the WT (work truck model).

So it is. But who actually gets one? ;)

(But all indications are that it will not be produced much longer.)

chiefalen

Captain

2 friends i have, got the 4.3 motor in the vans they drive both 2000 or 2001.

Both vortec and i swear one day i'm gonna lay my hands on one straight out of a truck and everything in the engine bay is going into a boat. Marine acc, of course.

Someone here said he did that took it straight out of a Astro or something and put it straight in to the boat.

I looked up down and was under the van for hours it seems i don't see one thing different from the ones in boats. Even the core plugs were brass.

180shabah

Rear Admiral

So it is. But who actually gets one? ;)

(But all indications are that it will not be produced much longer.)

Yup, GM has announced their intention to stop production of the 4.3. I guess we will be getting I6's again, but who knows.