Hydro-Electric Shift retrofit

SuzukiChopper

Senior Chief Petty Officer
So last night I was checking out some of the projects on the Classic Mako website and came across a fellow that had purchased an electronic helm control. It was something like $5k for this thing. This got my little mind thinking about the Hydro-Electric shift in my '72 Johnson 100 and about how many times I've read about people having problems with that little feeble switch inside the control breaking, hard/impossible to find and in the end retrofitting a toggle switch on the dash to control the gears. A new thread posted today made me think even more about this.

It's not exactly SAFE to go the toggle switch route, and you have to get in the habit of checking for neutral before starting and making sure you aren't full steam ahead on the throttle. I compare this to 'I'll save some dollars and install a remote start for an automatic transmission in my manual transmission car because I *ALWAYS* leave it in neutral when I'm not driving'. Unfortunately that one time you forget because of some external influence, things go bad.

While reading this new thread I had an epiphany and know how the switch issue can be solved, won't be affected by the elements like a mechanical switch would be and in turn would be relatively cheap and safe solution to the problem. What I would like to know from my fellow iboaters is not only how many people have Johnny/Evinrudes with the hydro-electric shift... but also how many other motors use an electric style shift. I'm thinking about developing a solution to this problem but because my control works fine and the switch, although somewhat worn, is still working like it should... I don't want to miss out on fishing. However, if someone knows where I can get a cheap control or has one they're willing to donate (would be returned with the retrofit in it) then I'd be able to proceed.

I'm going to do some bench tests to make sure the idea will work as I think it will, but would like some feedback on whether or not it's worth my time other then for my own sake.

Re: Hydro-Electric Shift retrofit

I might have a (working) control unit you could use for testing purposes but it depends on how my current project goes, so I won't know for at least a few months. You can keep in touch with me at,EDIT use the PM system. if you're interested.

I have no idea how many of these hydro-electric units are out there, but I'd be interested to learn as well, for a completely different reason.

SuzukiChopper

Senior Chief Petty Officer

For my purposes all I really need is the shell and lever. Doesn't have to be functioning, doesn't need the cables, or even all the wiring for that matter. I'd like to find one that someone is willing to let go of for cheap (with the wiring) or just one that is of no use to someone. Probably aren't a whole lot out there that are functioning and some may have been junked because of the switch problem but I'm thinking that there are a bunch of other motors that use a similar electric shift, doesn't have to be hydro-electric, just electric.

Just as an addendum... with doing this I could go as far as having a small indicator for the dash that would show what gear it's in as well using LEDs. More bling then function but I like to reach for the stars when I can lol

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

Years back, a fellow in the Air National Guard here used to make a neat little replacement for the push button style switch. He gutted the existing switch and used magnets and reed switches and the small trim (cube) relays in a small waterproof plastic box under control. To start engine you had to hold the neutral button down. Wish I had kept one to play with, he charged 95.00 to do it.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

most have used a series of toggles switches to solve this problem.