allignment help

bpmcl00

Petty Officer 1st Class
Ok guys i got the allignment bar and greased it up, and slid it in.

the whole bar slid in easily with a little force.

after i pulled the bar out i can clearly see spline marks all around the bar.

the ones up top are MORE pronounced then the ones on the bottom of the motor.

do i need to adjust?? iv stuck this bar in about 5 times and it slides in evertime. i dont have to force it but it takes a little pushing to get it in all the way.

Leave it?

Fishermark

Vice Admiral
Re: allignment help

Turn the engine over in 90 degree increments and do the alignment check again each time to see if there is any difference.

bpmcl00

Petty Officer 1st Class

how should i turn the motor over??

i tried turning nut on alternator pulley and other top main poulley but only slipped the belts

turn the key for a sec??

bpmcl00

Petty Officer 1st Class

how should i turn the motor over??

i tried turning nut on alternator pulley and other top main poulley but only slipped the belts

turn the key for a sec??

update. turned it over and bar slid in with a little push. lame as before grease marks not as pronounced on bottom as top..

leave it or adjust????

Fishermark

Vice Admiral

To me, if you can see marks all the way around when you have a slight coating of grease on the bar, then you are good to go.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Get the grease marks equal, and you won't have to force the bar in at all. In my opinion. if you have to force the bar in, or twist the bar at all to remove it, then you are out of alignment.

chiefalen

Captain

Taking your time here will save you real problems down the road.

Fishermark

Vice Admiral

Since you have the lines more pronounced on the top, if it needs adjustment, then the front of the engine needs to come down. (I think that's right... I am having a mental block right now! :confused: ). But I guess only you can tell how much "force" it is taking and how much more pronounced the marks are.

bpmcl00

Petty Officer 1st Class

so i went ahead and played with the motor mounts.

i got the grease marks almost all the way around the bar.

everything looks good, but the bar is still a little tough to get it a takes some force... does this sound right

Don S

One thing you need to do, is push the bar all the way in. Then TAP it with a rubber mallet left and right, up and down. This will make sure the gimbal bearing is set and any build up of old dried up grease in the coupler is pushed out of the way (hopefully)
Then turn the alignement bar a few turns in the coupler just to make sure everything is clear, turn the engine a quarter of a turn and do it again. Go all the way around doing that.
Then grease the bar and slide it in the coupler and pull straight out (DO NOT twist the bar) the marks in the grease should be equal all the way around and the bar slides easily in and out. If you have to fore it, you are not in alignment.
You also need to keep equal weight on each front motor mount.
When you get close, start moving each mount lower nut a quarter turn and check the alignment. When it's right, you will know it.

bpmcl00

Petty Officer 1st Class

ok so i had the bar set where it was putting marks all around the bar, but the bar took a little push to get it..

then i turned the motor and now the bar will not even go into the coupler.

im donr trying for tonight. i will give it another try tomorrow

Don S

Is this a new coupler or the old one?????

Seriously, this is a big question and needs to be answered.

bpmcl00

Petty Officer 1st Class

don s: it is the old coupler.. the allignment seemed to be fine when i pulled it off bar in smooth 90-360 . but after i screwed with it that is no longer the case....

so im at it again today.

the bar will not go fully in and is hitting the top if the bar...

which way should the motor go UP or DOWN??

Don S

IF it;s tight on the top of the alignment bar, go down with the front of the engine.

Fishermark

Vice Admiral

If you forget, I always find that exaggerating the movement in my mind helps. Look at the picture below and keep in mind that the engine will pivot on the rear mount. Raising the front of the engine will cause the back of the coupler to move down - causing the bar to hit the top of the coupler. If you visualize what happens you will know what to do to adjust it:

engine_alignment_image.gif

bpmcl00

Petty Officer 1st Class

ok don s. i went down on the mounts and the bar will go in now...

im still back to where i started, the grease marks on the top of the allignment bar are much more pronounced then the ones on the bottom....

which way should i go... still down?

Don S

Go down some more......................

bpmcl00

Petty Officer 1st Class

Go down some more......................

down more..

now when i put my drive back in should it slide in like butter?

or a little shove here and there to get it to sit right?

Don S

now when i put my drive back in should it slide in like butter?

Does the alignment bar slide in and out easily now? If so, tighten down the mounts and recheck BEFORE you try to reinstall the drive.

bpmcl00

Petty Officer 1st Class

it slides out without too much force. a small shove to get it in fully and little pull to get it out..

grease marks are all around the bar. still a little more pronounced up top... but i cant seem to fix that no matter how much i lower...

but should drive slide in super easy???