1988 Merc. 60 hp Water pressure...

Maddoxsdaddy

Petty Officer 1st Class
I just bought the motor and have an easy question to answer. The motor HAD a water pressure guage. The previous owner kept the fitting that goes into the head. When purchasing a guage, will that fitting come in the kit? I've looked at a few guages online but none of them say

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1988 Merc. 60 hp Water pressure...

If it doesn't, or if for some reason the parts that come in the kit don't work, your local hardware store can fix you up. Here is one way to get around the issue.

75c56ac4.jpg

Maddoxsdaddy

Petty Officer 1st Class

Great, thanks. Now...What guage to buy. I see teleflex guages for aroun $45.00 and Quicksilver for around $80.00. Does it really matter. ALSO... I got this motor off of a pontoon boat and it has a 12 pitch 10 3/8 inch prop on it. I want to switch to a 15 pitch for my little bass boat (17' Alumacraft). Do i need a hub rebuild kit or can i just switch props?

hkeiner

Lieutenant Junior Grade

When I bought a gauge for my boat, my two primary considerations were appearance and PSI range. The brand did not matter. I chose a gauge with a 0-30psi range so that the needle's movement with the motor running will be more noticable and measurable. Gauges with a 0-60psi range will not have much needle movement, even at WOT. Gauges with a 0-15psi range are relatively hard to find but quite suitable.

Below is a link that may also be helpful to you.

http://www.diy-boat.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=151&Itemid=49