1970 Evinrude problem

paulyboy83

Recruit
Hello again all.

The Sportwin I posted about earlier turned out to be a 1970 model.

The problem is this:
Apparently it will start and run but once warm it will continuously stall out and quit.

I pulled the fly wheel off and this is what I found;
2009_0219Image0008.jpg

2009_0219Image0008.jpg

Would the cracked coil be the cause of the problem. I realize it will need to be replaced.

As for replacing it, there is what appears to be a new one. When I looked up coils online, the part # on the newer coil does not match anything I found. Now, would I be better off replacing both of them at the same time?

Thanks in advance.

PB

woodducker

Seaman
Re: 1970 Evinrude problem

i would replace just the one the part numbers may have superceded. but yeh a coil will give you that problem.

Mas

Lieutenant Commander

Yes, as coils heat up, they can cause the problems you described. I would probably replace the coil.

But, test it out first. With an ohm meter, connect the points and ground together. It should read zero.

Then connect the plug wire and ground...it should read about 6 ohms.

Try this test when the engine is old then again when it is warm.

MAS

F_R

Supreme Mariner

That cracked coil is junk. Don't even monkey around with it. Install a new one. So common they are notorious. Somebody has already replaced the one but was too cheap to do both of them. The new one should be good to go, don't waste money be doing it again.

They have new coils here at iboats at a good price. They will be a different color and part number. Different manufacturers.

EDIT: From where I sit, it looks like that new coil is dragging on the flywheel magnets. They should be installed so that they sit flush with the machined edge of the bosses they are mounted on.

Last edited:

paulyboy83

Recruit

Thanks for all your help guys. I really appreciate it.

I'll let you know how she runs when I get it going.

PB

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

The need to replace the red coil is a slam dunk. It has obvious cracks in it, and even if it isn't the source of your current problem, it will fail very soon.

While you have the flywheel off, I would inspect the points too. If in doubt about them, replacement may be in order, If they look OK, check the gap (.020). If you do end up replacing the points, you may as well put new condensors in too - they are inexpensive and getting all of this done, will just save you from another "trip" into your ignition system, in the near future.