89' Mercury 135 Black Max

dg1978

Recruit
Great forum guys even for us Aussies. I've recently purchased a Merc 135 on a Whittley Cherrokee 5.3 and last weekend started to develop a continuous beeping. No over temp and tell tale was not overly hot. After letting the boat sit for a while started again and the beeping stopped. Following day started it in the morning and the beeping was there again. Any idea what it might be. The motor purred like a kitten when it was running. Would it be an oil sensor??? Plenty of oil in the top tank.

Dunaruna

Admiral
Re: 89' Mercury 135 Black Max

I do not know the answer to your question but someone here will.

Being a fellow Melbournite, thought i would say welcome. What area are you from?

j_martin

Admiral
Re: 89' Mercury 135 Black Max

Great forum guys even for us Aussies. I've recently purchased a Merc 135 on a Whittley Cherrokee 5.3 and last weekend started to develop a continuous beeping. No over temp and tell tale was not overly hot. After letting the boat sit for a while started again and the beeping stopped. Following day started it in the morning and the beeping was there again. Any idea what it might be. The motor purred like a kitten when it was running. Would it be an oil sensor??? Plenty of oil in the top tank.

If it's a steady tone, it's the overtemp sensor. If it's a beeping, it's the oil alert module.

There are several sensors even ignition signals involved. Best bet would be to get a manufacturer's maintainance manual and go through the procedure for checking out the oil injection.

Meanwhile, just in case it isn't getting oil, (oil pump drive failing) mix 2 cycle oil with the gas in the main tank at 50:1 ratio. If the oiling is failing, you will save the engine. If the oiling is OK, just bad sensors, you might foul a few dollars in plugs, but probably not.

good luck
John