1978 Mirrocraft 14 with center casting deck.

halas

Petty Officer 1st Class
Is it a good idea to add a raised deck with removable seat to the middle of the boat with the batteries and gas tank bellow this platform?
No rear deck and no front deck (only small front platform just big enough for trolling motor).
Leave the middle factory bench seat and just put the deck on top of it extending it with supports to both sides to have enough room for the gas tank and the two trolling batteries?

I thought that I could control the bow mounted trolling motor with remote control from the center when fishing.
Sit on the rear bench when cruising with tiller.

Would this give a good weight distribution for the boat?

Is there any potential drawbacks for this kind of setup?

I welcome any input before start doing work that I will regret later.

jpmurphy

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 1978 Mirrocraft 14 with center casting deck.

I don't see anything wrong with your idea. With your limited length this will kill two birds with one stone so to speak. Just make sure your batts and gas are separated and vented.

With the casting deck in the middle you may experience some "leaning" to which ever side you are landing your catch from. That would be the only draw back I can think of. The higher the casting deck is the you will experience this effect.

Good luck on your project.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

You are raising to point of gravity and I think it will be tippy. Can you mock up your design and try it ..... like a water test at a boat ramp. I would look into that before you made any permament changes.

halas

Petty Officer 1st Class

Is the boat least stable in the middle part? Probably most stable at transom.

I never had a 14 foot aluminum (just bought this one last month ) but I should try to stand on the center bench seat and get the feel of it when warmer.

Right now all the lakes are frozen solid here in NE. Ohio

I am kind of exited about the center platform because I'd like to get the weight of the batteries and gas tank (vented and separated) off the back of the boat, want to keep that area clean and open.

Will have a 9.5 hp Johnson in the back and bow mounted trollin motor at front. Why no one is using casting platform in the middle?

Bondo

Staff member

but I should try to stand on the center bench seat and get the feel of it when warmer.

Yes....

You're not starting with very much boat,...
Small tinnys are kinda tippy to begin with,...
As noted, raising the CG by standing on a platform just makes a Bad situation Worse....

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

Why no one is using casting platform in the middle?[/QUOTE]

The middle of the boat is the worst place to fish from as far as casting and landing fish, the bow is #1, stern is #2 and the middle is #5, it loses three positions from #2 just because of the hassle.