rude 1980 7.5

rtpogo11

Seaman Apprentice
she will start up on 1 0r 2 pulls runs well, then if i hit the kill button and then try to start it up she will take a lot of pulls to start ........running in a tub also i notice i cannot start this engine if the choke is on choke always has to be closed in order for it to start. please help iam 13 and this is my first attempt to learn i do have a mannual thanks ANDY

Mas

Lieutenant Commander
Re: rude 1980 7.5

Try twisting the throttle a bit more. When warm, you shouldn't need to choke. My brand new 4hp Yamaha will not start when warm unless it is throttled up...this is also to factory recommendations for restart.

You restart problems may indicate other issues as well...such as a gummed up idle circuit in your carb.

How does the motor run/idle when it is running?

MAS

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Andy, Welcome to iboats, we have several members your age.
lets verify some things. when starting turn the throttle all the way till it stops.

choke statement is confusing, choke on usually means that the choke butterfly is closed, choke off means the choke butterfly is horizonal, open. can you clear this up.

is the vent open on the fuel tank?

rtpogo11

Seaman Apprentice

hi guys when i start the motor even when its cold i can never start the motor if the choke is pulled out i always have to have the choke in i thinks thats wierd also i thought the throddle should be in the starting position to start