Lower unit leak

jo321

Recruit
I have a 1997 2 stroke Johnson 115 and it has a lower unit leak. I have attached a photo. Is this normal from a drain hole. It smells like gear oil, but i am not sure. Can the weather change do this.

Attachments

• this one.JPG
    this one.JPG
    83.2 KB · Views: 0

jo321

Recruit
Re: Lower unit leak

How can it be un-burned oil when i mix my oil with gas?

Mas

Lieutenant Commander

Not 100% of your 2 cycle oil is burned during combustion...especially during idle and warm up. Having a little unburned oil is good, becuase that ensures that your cylinders are lubed. It would be impossible to have have the exact oil/fuel ratio under all rpms, so the ratio is set to err on the side caution...a little rich, thus a bit oil will drip from your exhaust! No big deal!

MAS

splitshot

Petty Officer 1st Class

is there water in the lower unit oil ?? is the oil level in the lower unit low ?? if so here is what i did to find a leak

a year ago my father in law's lower unit was leaking from the same hole...(lower unit was losing oil) it ended up being the seal around the driveshaft...

what we did was take the lower unit off, drain it really well and put drain plug back in and tighten, then we put soapy water around all the seals..(driveshaft, shift rod, prop shaft...prop must be removed) and blow a low psi of air around 3-5 psi in the case thru the oil fill hole and while keeping this psi inside the case (air tight seal ) look around the seals the ones that bubble will need replacing...

we regulated the low air pressure by taking a portable air tank and only putting 5 psi in it and then put a blower tip on the hose and inserted it into the fill hole (i believe we had to wrap the tip of the blower in duck tape to get an air tight seal)

Good luck let us know what you find..also really good idea to have 2 people one doing the air and one looking for bubbles :)

jo321

Recruit

I looked at the oil and it was not milky. I removed the upper screw cap and i let it sit a min. and some oil started to come out. So to be on the safe side I added some it. It took barely any. But I noticed that the oil was a good bit darker then the new oil. Will it be okay to run this way with older oil in it or should I just change it out?

woodducker

Seaman

i would just change it. its good to replace the oil in the lower unit at least once a year. doesnt hurt to change it more often. better safe than sorry. good luck.

Mas

Lieutenant Commander

Make sure that you replace the plastic plug washers as well. This is a common place for water infiltration. They're only a few pennies, but potentially worth a lot more in the long run!

MAS

Mas

Lieutenant Commander

Also, when was the impeller last replaced? Changing the impeller is a maintenance item...not a repair item! The impeller should be changed every couple of years...Cheap insurance!

MAS

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

If that oil is gear oil, you appear to have a leak in the waterpump base gasket or driveshaft seals. When oil leaks out, water may leak in and ruin the bearings and gears.

I recommend you get on the crowleymarine.com site and look up the parts for that motor's waterpump. Buy and install the gaskets and seals.

jo321

Recruit

I pulled my boat down to my mechanic today. So I will hopefully have it back by tomorrow evening or Saturday. I will let everyone know what happens. thanks for all your help!!!!:)