Help with inflatable for 2 adults + 3 kids

chrisk500

Recruit
I am looking for an inflatable for 5 total people. Probably around a 13-14 footer. Needs to be easy to break down/set up as I will be setting up every time I go to the river. Was looking at the Saturn line and also the sea eagle line. Any suggestions??
Also, what kind of motor am I looking at needing for 5 people? Would a 15hp be ok? Not looking for much speed... we'll mainly be using it to get back up river after the kids have floated down river all day.
Thanks!

Drowned Rat

Captain
Re: Help with inflatable for 2 adults + 3 kids

You can fit that many people on a 14', but it'll be very crowded. If you plan on taking any gear, it would be too crowded. A 15hp motor on that size boat with that many people likely will not plane or it'll take all the motor's power to plane.

For a family that size, I'd look at a 16 or 17 footer and a 30hp or more.

flwestcoastboater

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Help with inflatable for 2 adults + 3 kids

I would advise getting a HUGE inflatable, at least 16 feet. I have a 9 foot, and have crammed three people in it with gear. It is NOT comfortable at all. As far as power, if you plan on planing the boat or exceeding a fast walking pace, it should be 20+ hp at least. You may want to consider getting a larger jon boat and going through the effort of trailering the boat from place to place.