How long should trailer tires last

hawilson2

Petty Officer 2nd Class
How long (miles ???) should decent trailer tires last if kept properly inflated. They seem to wear out rather quickly. I had been one to not keep them properly inflated; but since learning the issues, I have kept them up to pressure. How long can I expect new trailer tires to last? Thanks in advance.

Bondo

Staff member
Re: How long should trailer tires last

Ayuh,...

I would think something between 25,000 miles to maybe 50,000 miles....
But,...
Due to the Many variables,...
It's pretty much an Unanswerable question....

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Sitting in the sun, underinflated, overloaded, are all tire issues that affect how long they last. Here's the deal: Buy new tires but before having them mounted, check the date code. Insist that they NOT be installed if the date code is not from the current year. From this point on the date code will determine when to replace them since there is a fair chance the tread will still look good when the rubber is cracked, hard as a bullet and therefore dangerous. Replace tires at 4 - 5 year intervals, or if protected and/or stored indoors, 6 years. Either way, pay attention to the sidewalls as this is a better indicator of condition than the tread. I just had two tires replaced under warranty that were on a 2008 trailer. The date code on the tires were 2004 and they were split wide open on the sidewall and in the tread grooves.

freddyray21

Commander

with me trailer tires are more of an age thing than a miles thing. My sailboat gets hauled over to the lake in the spring about 100 miles and it's left in storage over there all season. I only haul it maybe 5 miles total everytime I go to put it in. It would take me my lifetime to wear them out by miles, but dry rot is another thing. My ski boat get's hauled back and forth, but I don't take it everytime I go. We have been sailing more than powerboating, but figure 6-8 miles a year is at most 1600 miles a year. Again a lifetime.

Rowroy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Sitting in the sun, underinflated, overloaded, are all tire issues that affect how long they last. Here's the deal: Buy new tires but before having them mounted, check the date code. Insist that they NOT be installed if the date code is not from the current year. From this point on the date code will determine when to replace them since there is a fair chance the tread will still look good when the rubber is cracked, hard as a bullet and therefore dangerous. Replace tires at 4 - 5 year intervals, or if protected and/or stored indoors, 6 years. Either way, pay attention to the sidewalls as this is a better indicator of condition than the tread. I just had two tires replaced under warranty that were on a 2008 trailer. The date code on the tires were 2004 and they were split wide open on the sidewall and in the tread grooves.

Very interesting point. I think most folks assume that unmounted tires at the tire store are "new".