Outboard Motor - Mercury Optimax 150

tsmith83

Cadet
have a 2005 Mercury Optimax 150. I recently noticed some oil in the drive way under the prop. I found oil on also sitting on the foot (the part directly about the prop). I could not find where it was/is coming from, but it looks like it is dripping out of the engine that is above the exhaust. . Hard to describe but It is not running down the engine on to the lower unit just dripping on the the foot from above...so it appears to be coming out just below where the motor cover comes off. I did take the cover off and did some investigating but did not see anything. The only thing I did find was the fuel line appeared to have a small leak at the linkage just before it enters the front of the engine. So if you squeaze the primer ball some oil/gas comes out of the linkage. The only thing I could think is the leak is running along the fuel line into the engine, then dripping it into the bottom of the engine compartment and then out the back. iFor some reason the oil and fuel leak both stooped on their own. Any ideas of what may have caused this?

Laddies

Banned
Re: Outboard Motor - Mercury Optimax 150

Smell it, if its gear oil and on the top of the cavitation plate near the front I believe that there is a drain down hole coming out of the vertical surface on both sides, if thats were it's coming from the shift shaft seal is leaking.

tsmith83

Cadet
Re: Outboard Motor - Mercury Optimax 150

Thanks for the post. There appears to be drains behind the prop at about the same level. I dont see any above the cavitation plate. ..Unless they are underneath the cover.