98 V Max 150 tilt and trim not working right

Everything worked fine Saturday, but now today I went out and the motor would not lift at all. It had power and sounded good, but would not lift. I manually lifted the motor and checked my fluid and looked for leaks but everything appears to be ok. As I worked with it for a while, I got the pistons to start moving up and down a litte, but they were very sluggish. Now It will actually lift the motor about 1/4 of the way up, but then the pistons just stop moving. The motor still runs but it sounds very sluggish. It goes down fine.
Thanks for all your help. Nate

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner
Re: 98 V Max 150 tilt and trim not working right

now i gotta have the complete model number,not seriel number, from the tag on the port bracket.
a V150 was not listed as a production engine in 1998.
over the years yamaha has used various trim units on v6 motors. I need to identify yours before I can discuss much.

I appreciate your time on this.
Here are the numbers: D150TLRV
65 N L600388
Thanks. Nate

rodbolt:
Thanks again for your time on this. I feel like an idiot though. After doing some research I discovered that I was not checking the fluid level properly. I was not tilting the motor all the way up when I checked it. I did that just now and it was definitely low. I added fluid and worked it up and down a few times, and each time, I had to add a little more. It is working much better now.
Two more questions though. The last time I checked it, I tilted it all the way up and when I pulled the cap off, it had a lot of pressure and it "spit" some of the fluid out. It had a fairly steady drip of fluid when I put the cap back on.
Am I supposed to bleed the air out or is that normal?
Also, is it ok to use Dexron III? I work at a large automotive retailer and we dont even sell Dexron II anymore. Dexron III now meets and exceeds the requirments of Dexron II.
Thanks so much for your time and consideration.
Nate

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

dexron III is an acceptable subsitute.
but your system is broke.
have it inspected and repaired.
the tilt system is a SEALED system and should never need fluid unless it escaped or was never filled from the factory.
D indicates its a twin rotating prop model,150 indicates the propshaft HP,T indicates it has trim and tilt,L is 20" transom R is remote control,V indicates its a 1997 year production run.
its actually quite rare if its still twin rotating props.
that motor uses a Showa built trim unit and is difficult to bleed. try manually raing the motor,setting it on the lock then fill the resivoir.
after that fully raise and lower the engine with the tilt checking the fluid each time for about 5 cycles.
yes its normal to spit at you.

Thanks so much!
What is the benefit of a dual prop anyway? I have found out this is pretty rare.